IREX University Administration Support Program (UASP) Fellowships for Research Managers in Africa 2018
The University Administration Support Program (UASP) Fellowships in Research Management, developed and implemented by IREX and supported by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, supports the development of university research management capacity through a six-week fellowship in the United States for mid- to senior-level research managers from Africa and Eurasia.
Application Deadline: 15th April 2018
Eligible Countries: Armenia, Belarus, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, or Ukraine.
To Be Taken At (Country): United States
About the Award: The UASP Fellowships in Research Management support the development of university research management capacity through a six-week fellowship in the United States for mid- to senior-level research managers. Two weeks of training in Washington, DC, a virtual learning environment, and a four-week placement at a respected US university support participants to build their universities into leading research institutions. Following the placement, fellows are supported to implement reforms in their home institution.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be a citizen of and reside in Armenia, Belarus, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, or Ukraine at the time of application and participation;
- Be proficient in writing, reading, and speaking English;
- Be able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa;
- Be available to participate in fellowships in the United States for approximately six weeks during fall 2018 or winter 2019;
- Be committed to producing an implementation plan or comparative case study on a topic of research management while in the United States; and
- Hold a full-time position focusing on research management at an eligible university,* with sufficient seniority to be an agent for change (capacity to introduce reforms following program participation).
Number of Awards: up to 32
Value of Award: The program support participants to build their universities into leading research institutions through:
- Two weeks of intensive research management and leadership training (PDF, 74 KB) in Washington, DC
- A virtual learning environment
- Peer-to-peer learning
- A four-week placement analyzing and observing research management operations at a respected public US university
- Support implementing reforms in fellows’ home institutions following the US placement
Duration of Program:
- September 24–November 2, 2018: Cohort I Fellowship in the United States
- January 28–March 8, 2019: Cohort II Fellowship in the United States
How to Apply: Apply Here
If technology barriers prevent you from completing the application online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper version of the application be sent to you by e-mail.
Award Providers: IREX
Important Note: Fellows are not allowed to have dependents (including spouses and children) accompany them during the Fellowship.