The University Administration Support Program (UASP) Fellowships in Research Management, developed and implemented by IREX and supported by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, supports the development of university research management capacity through a six-week fellowship in the United States for mid- to senior-level research managers from Africa and Eurasia.
Application Deadline: 3rd March 2020 at 11:59 PM EST.
Eligible Countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda.
To Be Taken At (Country): United States
About the Award: The UASP Fellowships in Research Management support the development of university research management capacity through a six-week fellowship in the United States for mid- to senior-level research managers. Two weeks of training in Washington, DC, a virtual learning environment, and a four-week placement at a respected US university support participants to build their universities into leading research institutions. Following the placement, fellows are supported to implement reforms in their home institution.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be a citizen of and reside in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda at the time of application and participation;
- Hold a full-time mid- or senior-level position focusing on research management at an eligible university (seniority should be sufficient to demonstrate capacity to be a catalyst for change).*
- Demonstrate engagement with the DVC/Director Research or an equivalent post and clearly articulate alignment of the proposed fellowship area of focus with institutional priorities;
- Have a sufficient level of proficiency in written and spoken English to work independently in the United States and engage colleagues;
- Be able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa. Please note, your passport should be valid at least 6 months after the fellowship program end date;
- Be available to participate in the fellowship in the United States for approximately six weeks during Fall 2020 or Winter 2021;
- Be committed to producing several fellowship-related assignments, including a comparative case study and implementation plan on a topic of research management; and
- Not be a current IREX employee and/or consultant or an immediate family member (spouses, children, parents, siblings) of an IREX employee or consultant
Number of Awards: up to 32
Value of Award: The program support participants to build their universities into leading research institutions through:
- Two weeks of intensive research management and leadership training in Washington, DC
- A virtual learning environment
- Peer-to-peer learning
- A four-week placement analyzing and observing research management operations at a respected public US university
- Support implementing reforms in fellows’ home institutions following the US placement
Duration of Program:
- September – November, 2020: 6 week Cohort 1 fellowship in the United States
- January – March, 2021: 6 week Cohort 2 Fellowship in the United States
How to Apply: The application, with all instructions embedded is available online here:
All applications should be submitted no later than March 3, 2020.
The application will ask applicants to prepare and upload the following support documents with their application
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Letter of support from immediate supervisor: please download the form template for this here , provide to your supervisor, and then upload with your application submission
- Letter of support from home institution Deputy Vice Chancellor Research (or equivalent post)
- Home institution organizational chart
- See application form for instructions for the required format for each support document).