5th African School of Fundamental Physics and Applications (ASP) Program for all African Students (Fully-funded Training Program in Namibia) 2018
The 5th edition of the biennial African School of Fundamental Physics and Applications, ASP2018, will take place on June 24 – July 14, 2018 in Namibia.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): University of Namibia, and Namibia University of Science and Technology Windhoek, Namibia
About the Award: The ASP activities consist of the following components:
- A 3-week scientific program for 60–80 students from all over Africa with a minimum if 3 years university education in mathematics, physics, computing and/or engineering. ASP2018-Namibia;
- African Conference on Fundamental Physics and Applications (ACP) organized in parallel to the students and teachers activities. It includes invited and contributed talks in many different tracks. ACP2018-Namibia;
- A one-week workshop is organized to train 70–80 high school teachers for improved physics teaching;
- A one-week program that consists of outreach to motivate 200–250 learners to develop and maintain interest in physics;
- A forum that consists of talks, discussions and debate about the role and the future of ASP in capacity development in Africa;
- Continuously, an active mentoring and coaching program to help ASP students.
Members of the International Organizing Committee made a site visit to Namibia on June 12-16, 2017. The objective of the site visit was to meet with the Local Organizing Committee and to converge on a program of actions leading towards a successful ASP.
Fields of Training: The ASP includes lectures, demonstrations, experimentation and hands-on tutorials in the following ares:
- Astrophysics and Cosmology;
- Nuclear and Particle Physics;
- Accelerator, Medical and Radiation Physics;
- High Performance Computing;
- Physics Education;
- Physics Communication;
- Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency;
Eligibility: Priority will be given to:
- African students with a minimum of 3-year university education in physics, mathematics, engineering or computer science;
- Students that did not attend any previous editions of ASP.
Value of Award: Selected students will receive travel coverage, accommodation and full board.
Duration of Program: It is planned for June 24 – July 14, 2018.
How to Apply: Application materials needed:
- Statement of interest
- All university transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from university advisor
Application to be submitted online here.
Award Providers: African School of Physics