African Leadership Academy (ALA) Fellowship for Young African Leaders 2018
Each year, ALA draws the most outstanding students from across Africa to its campus in South Africa. Here, they build a powerful intellectual foundation and develop their leadership capacity through ALA’s unique curriculum in Entrepreneurial Leadership. ALA then works with these young leaders throughout their lives as they enable lasting positive change on the African continent.
Application Deadline: 16th February, 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): South Africa
About the Award: ALA Fellowships are two-year posts for young professionals who have completed their undergraduate studies within the past five years. ALA Fellows work closely with talented and passionate students from across the African continent through teaching and/or professional staff supporting roles. Teaching Fellows collaborate with exceptional educators and mentors, teaching courses in areas of expertise and gaining broad practical experience in teaching and learning. Staff Fellows assist in areas such as strategic relations or admissions, developing skills in project management. All Fellows participate actively in student life as resident advisors and coaches overseeing extracurricular activities, bringing energy and cultivating a vibrant culture of leadership, innovation, and international cooperation on campus. Fellows receive housing, a stipend to cover living expenses, and are eligible for a grant to enable one professionally relevant travel excursion during the course of the Fellowship.
Eligibility: An ideal candidate (is):
- Creative and passionate about the field of education
- Celebrates opportunities to interact with people from very diverse cultural and social economic backgrounds
- Embraces a culture of leadership, international cooperation and excellence
- Open-minded and willing to share expertise and experiences, and to learn from others
- Loves to take on challenges and not afraid to work hard
- BA or BS degree from a leading university, with an excellent academic transcript and record of outstanding citizenship.
- A track record of leadership and results in extracurricular or professional activities.
- Experience working with young people in a mentoring, teaching, or coaching capacity.
- Experience developing strong relationships with people from a variety of different ages, cultures, religions, and socioeconomic groups.
- Experience in a boarding school or as a university Residential Advisor is a plus.
- Fluent in English. Fluency or proficiency in other languages spoken broadly on the continent (French, Portuguese, Arabic, Swahili, Yoruba, etc.) is a plus.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship: Fellows will receive housing on campus and a stipend payment to cover living expenses. Fellows are also eligible for a modest Summer Exploration grant to enable one professionally relevant travel excursion during the course of Fellowship tenure.
Duration of Fellowship: Fellowships will begin in August 2018 and last for two years.
How to Apply: To apply, complete the form below and attach your CV, cover letter and writing sample. Applications will be accepted through February 16, 2018.
Award Provider: African Leadership Academy