Coady Institute Global Change Leaders Programme 2020 for Women in Developing Countries (Fully-funded to Canada)
The call for applications for the 2020 GCL program is now open
Application Deadline: 22nd November, 2019 12:00pm
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To be taken at (country): Antigonish, Nova Scotia in Canada and candidate’s resident country
About the Award: Established in 2011, the Global Change Leaders Programme is a seven-week education programme offered by Coady Institute’s International Centre for Women’s Leadership. This programme enables women from developing countries to strengthen their leadership capacities in order to contribute to innovation and change in their organizations and communities. Programme participants engage in learning grounded in real world experiences and focused on Coady’s core thematic areas. Through a shared learning environment with other emerging women leaders from around the world, participants are exposed to a range of experiences and the beginnings of a potentially lifelong network of support.
Type: Training/Short Courses
Eligibility: This programme is targeted to emerging women leaders from developing countries who are working on development issues. These are women who:
- Possess a minimum of five years of demonstrated leadership experience in a social or economic development endeavor in sectors such as livelihoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment, access to education and health care, governance, political engagement of women and the rights of girls and women;
- Will be immediately returning to their community and sector following the programme to put their learning into practice;
- Have great drive and passion for their work, demonstrated through their outstanding contributions in their organizations and communities;·
- Are practitioners in civil society organizations including community based organizations and not for profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movements or in a social enterprise/business;
- Hold a university degree or a combination of post-secondary education and experience; and
- Have strong oral and written English language competencies.
Candidates must be from a country eligible for Official Development Assistance.
Value of Award: The Global Change Leaders program provides successful candidates with a scholarship that includes tuition, travel, accommodations, and meals. Successful participants are responsible for costs pertaining to acquiring a visa to enter Canada.
Programme participants benefit from the guidance and mentorship of accomplished women leaders from around the world. The programme is led by a core team of staff in the International Centre for Women’s Leadership and supported by other Coady faculty and associates.
Duration of Program: For 2020, the Global Change Leaders Program consists of two main components:
- June 1 – July 17, 2020: A seven week on-site intensive course at the Coady International Institute in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada where a collaborative relationship is fostered among facilitators and participants to draw out lessons and insights from their rich and diverse experiences. This consists of:
- A foundation module, in which participants focus on leadership theories and essential competencies, analysis of gender, citizenship and power, practical understandings of these concepts and their application for women leaders within their own contexts, strengthening capacities for social innovations, partnership building in a multi-stakeholder environment, and enhancing abilities to realize citizen-driven asset-based development.
- A focus on gendered approaches for social, political and economic empowerment and community development, including addressing legitimacy and accountability in governance structures, building resilient communities and strengthening inclusive economies.
- A final module, in which participants articulate an action plan for how they will take their new learning home to provide leadership in their organizations and communities and continue to work towards empowering other women moving forward.
- September 1, 2020 – February 28, 2021: Participants will benefit from one-on-one mentoring from experienced women leaders upon their return home for up to six months to follow on the application of learning into practice. Mentors and mentees will be matched during the residency period based on specific needs and geographic locations. Participants will also join a global alumnae network of women leaders.
How to Apply: Apply here
Remember to read the Application Instructions before applying.