Commonwealth Medical Fellowships 2020 for Students in Developing Countries
The UK Department for International Development (DFID) funds the 2019 Commonwealth Medical Fellowships for mid-career medical staff from developing countries to spend between three and six months at an approved UK university hospital, learning or improving a specific clinical skill.
Application Deadline: 23rd March 2020 by 16:00 (GMT)
Eligible Countries: Bangladesh, Cameroon, The Gambia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia.
To be taken at (country): UK
About the Award: Commonwealth Medical Fellowships (Enhancing Clinical Skills) are offered for mid-career medical staff from developing Commonwealth countries. These fellowships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
The purpose of the Commonwealth Medical Fellowships are to provide mid-career medics with the opportunity to enhance their clinical skills, and to have catalytic effects on their workplaces.
The Commonwealth Medical Fellowships are offered under the second of the CSC’s six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Offered Since: 1959
Eligibility: To apply for the Commonwealth Medical Fellowships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country , or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country eligible Commonwealth country
- Have an academic appointment in an eligible Commonwealth country at one of the medical schools by the World Directory of Medical Schools, employed by a hospital affiliated to the Medical School where you have the academic appointment
- Be available to start your fellowship in the UK between October-December 2020
- Have qualified as a doctor before 1 October 2005
- Have qualified at a medical school recognised by the World Directory of Medical Schools
- Have met the English language requirements of the General Medical Council (GMC) by August 2020
- Have verified your primary medical qualification independently by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for General Medical Council (GMC) registration by 31 August 2020
- Your award is undertaken at an approved UK university hospital
You will be expected to participate in clinical practice during your fellowship, and to register with the General Medical Council (GMC). If your proposed programme does not require this registration, your application will be considered ineligible.
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates.
Selection Criteria: Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the proposal
- Potential impact of the work on the development of the candidate’s home country
Duration of Fellowship: Between three and six months
Value of Fellowship: Each fellowship provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Research support grant, payable to your host university hospital
- Stipend (living allowance).
- Reimbursement of the fee for a single English language test and the fee for General Medical Council (GMC) registration
- Warm clothing allowance
- Study travel grant towards the costs of approved travel within the UK
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £457 per month for the first child, and £112 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK
How to Apply: You must make your application directly to the CSC using the CSC’s online application system. Your application must be submitted to and endorsed by the Dean of the Medical School which you have the academic appointment The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the CSC’s online application system.
Only one application per applicant for these fellowships will be accepted.
Supporting documentation: You must provide the following supporting documentation by 16:00 (BST) on 14 April 2020 in order for your application to be eligible for consideration:
- Proof of citizenship or refugee status; copy of your valid passport (or national ID card) showing your photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship – uploaded to the online application system
- Full university transcripts and certificates detailing the dates of qualification for your primary medical degree – uploaded to the online application system
- Academic reference from the Head of your Teaching Hospital Department outlining how the skills gained are required. All references are to be submitted directly by the referees to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request)
- An Endorsement by the Dean of the Medical School at which you have the academic appointment confirming your academic appointment submitted directly by the Dean to the online application system (the Dean will be sent an email request)
- Supporting statement from your first choice proposed supervisor in the UK university hospital – submitted directly to the CSC (supervisors will be sent an email request)
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
You can view a read-only paper of the application form before you access the online application form below.
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.