Application Deadline: Varies by University between August & October 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: For students from developing countries who have a special interest in the economic challenges facing developing and transition countries.
To be taken at (country): German Universities and “Fachhochschulen” (Universities of Applied Sciences)
Brief description: Each year, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) support young professionals from developing countries with a variety of scholarships to pursue internationally recognized Master’s degree in selected Postgraduate courses at German Universities
Eligible Field of Study: At present, postgraduate courses are offered in the following fields:
- Economic Sciences / Business Administration / Political Economics
- Development Co-operation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional Planning
- Agriculture and Forest Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Medicine and Public Health
- Veterinary Medicine
- Social Sciences and Education
- Media Studies
The programme is taught entirely in English.
From among the large number of postgraduate courses offered by German institutions of higher education, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) supports a carefully chosen selection of programmes of particular interest to junior executives from developing countries. These degree courses, which consist of one to two years of concentrated study, provide young, academically-trained professionals in leading positions from developing countries with the opportunity to engage in postgraduate education and training in their particular field or profession.
Scholarship Offered Since: not specified
Scholarship Type: Internationally recognized Master’s degree
Eligibility: The Typical Scholarship Holder:
- Works either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country and, as such, is engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas.
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
- Has completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and at least two years of related professional experience.
- His/her academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old.
Selection criteria and procedures for DAAD scholarship recipients ensure that:
- priority target candidates have proven, development-related motivation and can be expected to make full use of their scholarship and education by taking on social responsibility later in their careers, acting as agents of change who stimulate and support development in their personal and professional surroundings (motivation, commitment to development),
- the candidates have the professional and academic qualifi cations necessary to ensure successful completion of the degree programme in Germany (fi nal scores on previous academic examinations, language skills),
- women and candidates from disadvantaged groups who meet the required academic and professional standards and show proven commitment to development-related issues are especially targeted for programme admission..
Number of Scholarships: a number of DAAD scholarships are available
Value of Scholarship: Full and partial scholarships
Duration of Scholarship: 12-24 months depending on the particular institution for 2017/2018 Academic year
- Deadline at the German Embassy: 31 July 2016.
- Deadline at the University varies between August and October 2016. Please check the relevant deadlines of the universities in the DAAD Brochure.
How to Apply
DAAD application forms are available on the DAAD website.
Applications have to be sent to the respective course directly!
Applications sent via e-mail to the DAAD cannot be considered during the selection process.
Scholarship Provider: the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Important Notes: Scholarships cannot be awarded without the official DAAD application form. Many courses, however, have their own forms, which must be submitted in addition to the DAAD application form.