Southern Africa – Towards Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) Young Scholars programme 2019
The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), together with its partners, now invites interested participants to apply for the Southern Africa – Towards Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) Young Scholars programme.
Application Deadline: 27th September 2019 by 23:59 UCT+3
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be Taken at (Country): Finland, South Africa
About the Award: United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) is implementing together with its partners over the period 2017–20 a research programme titled Southern Africa – Toward Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED), with the aim of enhancing economic research, capacity-building, and policy dialogue.
The SA-TIED programme is a three-year initiative, inaugurated at the end of 2017. It aims to improve the interface between cutting-edge research and policy formulation, by engaging policy makers and researchers in a shared process of knowledge creation and capacity-building. As a partnership between departments in the economic cluster and local and international research and policy institutes, the programme develops new models and methods for evidencebased, data-driven targeting and tracking of national policy.
A minimum of 150 research studies will be completed over the course of the programme, with findings that will guide policy debates on everything from enterprise dynamics and job creation to inequality, macroeconomic policy, climate change mitigation, and regional cooperation.
Type: Masters, Research
Eligibility: The Young Scholars programme supports the research careers of promising current and future Master’s-level university students based in South Africa. You are expected to submit a research proposal as a part of your application based on your Master’s thesis research or an independent research project. Your proposal is expected to align thematically with at least one of the SA-TIED work streams. If accepted to the programme, you will work with top academics and policy officials in your field to develop and complete an original research project.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- During the course of the programme, you will build a lasting network with local and international experts and officials and your work will become a part of the SA-TIED programme’s body of research on important, policy-relevant topics in inclusive economic development.
- Finally, your work will be published as a SA-TIED Young Scholars Working Paper, making an important contribution to your growing portfolio.
- As you complete your studies, SA-TIED will facilitate your ongoing dialogue with other students, academics, and government officials in South Africa and will provide exposure to the breadth and depth of public sector research and analytical work which is ongoing within government.
How to Apply:
- Apply by reading the full invitation to apply and submitting your application materials through the online portal by 23:59 UCT+3 27 September 2019.
- Please address questions to [email protected]
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.