Bangor University, UK, through the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) are pleased to announce up to 10 fully-funded scholarships (each worth over £12,000 to cover tuition fees) currently available for applicants from the developing commonwealth countries to study for postgraduate MSc Forestry by distance learning.
Application Deadline: 12th May 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: for applicants from the following developing commonwealth countries: Bangladesh, Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
To be taken at (country): by distance learning anywhere in the world
Eligible Field of Study: to study for MSc Tropical Forestry
About Scholarship: This postgraduate course is primarily intended for students who already have an interest in forestry and who wish to learn more about the environmental and societal benefits that tropical forests can provide. Suitable applicants include individuals working in forestry/forest-related industries/ natural resource management, particularly in the fields of planning, regulation, policy, monitoring, conservation and environmental protection. The course is also suited to individuals working in forestry education who wish to further their knowledge and expertise in order to improve their teaching.
Type: Masters degree
- In order to be considered for a CSC scholarships, applicants are expected to have at least an upper second class degree in a relevant subject (e.g. forestry, conservation, land management, natural sciences, economics). Relevant work experience is also valued. Applicants with a lower second class degree with relevant and sufficient work experience may also be considered.
- Regardless of English language ability and educational background, all applicants from Bangladesh, Cameroon, Mozambique, Pakistan, Rwanda and Sri Lanka are required to take an IELTS and obtain a minimum overall score of 6.5, if they wish to be considered for a CSC scholarship. In order for an award to be taken up in the 2016 academic year, the IELTS test must have been taken after October 2015.
- Applicants from Botswana, Ghana, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia do not need proof of English Language proficiency if they have studied their education through the medium of English.
- In order to study this course, students must have regular access to a computer with internet access, as the University cannot provide these to distance learning students. A small study grant (GBP £10 a month) is provided to successful scholars to assist them with the costs of computing and internet access.
- Applicants should ensure they are eligible for entry to the course and that distance learning is suitable for them before applying for a CSC scholarship.
- The scholarships are only available for entrants who are able to start the course in September 2016.
Number of Scholarships: Up to 10 fully-funded scholarships are available
Value of Scholarship: Each scholarship is worth over £12,000 to cover tuition fees
The scholarship also includes a generous bursary to enable scholars to attend a compulsory 14-day study tour which will be held in a country with notable tropical forest resources in July/August 2017.
Duration of Scholarship: for the period of study
How to Apply
Application to the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC)
In order to be considered for nomination for a CSC scholarship, you must apply directly to the CSC, as follows:
- Access the CSC Electronic Application System via http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/eas/
- Carefully read the information guide for distance learning candidates
- When you are ready to commence the application procedure, click on the link just below, titled “Click here to Access the System“.
- The deadline for completing submissions to the CSC EAS is 23:59 BST Friday 12th May 2017.
- Ensure you give your two referees sufficient time to complete their section of the Electronic Application System form.
- All queries from candidates about the CSC EAS should be directed to [email protected].
- Applicants who do not apply to the CSC cannot be considered for a CSC scholarship.
Visit Scholarship Webpage for details
Scholarship Provider: Commonwealth Scholarship Commission