MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
Every year, the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship gives talented students across Africa the opportunity to pursue their academic dreams. These crop of students are drawn from the indigent in the society, who are highly gifted, but whose dreams may be hampered by lack of the necessary wherewithal to see through their goals and aspirations.
The Mastercard Foundation realizes that education can serve as a tool for socio-economic change, a tool for transforming Africa’s teeming youths into leaders who will bring about the transformation the continent needs, and locally contribute to the development of their communities.
With this vision in mind, the program is providing financial, social and academic support to these scholars. The financial package includes tuition fees, accommodation, books and other resource materials. The financial package is not restricted to the aforementioned, as other perks may accrue to the intending scholars. The scope and field of studies eligible for this program vary from Institution to Institution.
Full List of Mastercard Foundation Scholarships
The Mastercard Foundation Scholarship programme has partner Universities and Institutions. The programme is categorized into Secondary Education, Undergraduate Studies and Master’s Studies.
- Camfed International – The Campaign For Female Education (CAMFED), is an international non-profit organization working to tackle the scourge of poverty and the huge disparity in girl-child education in Africa.
- Equity Group Foundation – Equity Group Foundation seeks to champion the social and economic transformation of the African youth.
- African Leadership Academy – An Institution that seeks to transform the present crop of youths into leaders that will impact the continent in all ramifications.
- The American University of Beirut – Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program partners with this Institution’s Faculty of Health Sciences to transform young people into change agents in their various communities and countries.
- Ashesi University College – With this program, the Mastercard Foundation programme seeks to lift young Africans from disadvantaged communities into leaders with the right mindsets.
- Kwame Nkrumah University Of Science And Technology (KNUST) – Advancing technology in Africa.
- Science Po – Situated in Paris, France, it ranks high in science and humanities research.
- The University of Abomey-Calavi – The oldest and largest public University in Benin. It has turned out elite scholars of Beninese origin.
- The University of Cape Town – It uses the Mastercard Scholarship program to churn out leaders who provide innovations in all spheres.
- University of Edinburgh – Its vision is to ensure knowledge is created, disseminated and properly administered.
- University of Gondar
- University of Pretoria
- Wellesley College
- African Institute For Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
- The American University of Beirut.
- Arizona State University.
- The Carnegie Mellon University of Africa.
- McGill University.
- Sciences Po.
- The University of British Columbia.
- The University of Cape Town.
- The University of Edinburgh.
- The University of Gondar.
- The University of Pretoria.
- For individuals applying for the undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree, they must be 29 years old or under at the period of their application.
- For individuals applying for the graduate (Master’s) degree, they must be 35 years old or under at the period of their application.
- Again, each Institution has its own eligibility criteria. You are advised to look up the Institution at which you wish to apply and check out their own criteria.
- While there is no limit to the number of institutions one can apply to, the application process itself can be tasking.
- It is important you take the recommended tests a few months before starting your application process. These tests can be SAT, TOEFL, or IELTS according to the institution’s requirements.
- Some Institutions may request a reference letter. A community leader, teacher, Religious leader you know can help in this regard.
Becoming A Mastercard Foundation Scholar
This is a program that upholds the very best in its scholars – high academic standards, leadership qualities, and the drive to make our communities better. Therefore, to become a scholar, you must be academically sound, display high leadership qualities, and demonstrate the zeal to impact the lives of everyone around you.
The entire process en route to becoming a scholar is handled by the Foundation’s partner Institutions and Non-governmental organizations. Follow through all your inquiries and application details through the Institution of your choice.
Benefits/Value of Scholarship
- The scholarship programme provides an avenue for the financially disadvantaged, but highly intelligent students to pursue their academic goals.
- Highly sought after skillsets can be acquired in this programme, in areas such as IT and Communications, Entrepreneurship, Leadership, and Critical thinking.
- With this programme, beneficiaries are able to give back to society through works of charity, community services and volunteer jobs.
- The programme affords graduates and undergraduates alike to interact, network, and consult on various forums, seminars and workshops to help each other realize their individual aspirations.
- The programme offers the beneficiaries ample opportunity to interact with mentors, life coaches and leadership experts.
- Scholars achieve a smooth transition from secondary to tertiary institutions.
The MasterCard Foundation has committed $500 million to education 15,000 African Scholars for secondary, undergraduate and Masters levels, who are committed to giving back to their communities and contributing to the social development and economic growth in their countries of origin. Scholarships are available to Study in USA, Canada, Germany and other parts of the worlds. See currently available MasterCard Scholars Programs below.
Watch How to Apply to Win the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
Applications are now being accepted for the Ideas Matter Fellowship Program; a fellowship which supports the research of young academics in the region focusing on women, technology and entrepreneurship. Application Deadline: 1st March…
New Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa 2021/2022 for Young Africans. Apply now. Application Deadline: 27th November 2020 About the Award: United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) has partnered…
Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship 2020 for African Students and Recent…
Applications are open for Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship 2020 for young African graduates. Application Deadline: 30th November 2020 About the Award: The Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship gives…
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Sciences Po aims to support 120 talented African students through their studies and to offer the next generation of leaders a world-class social science education, so they can go on to become …
The University of British Columbia, Canada partners with the MasterCard foundation Scholars Programme to grant $25M Scholarships to African students. Application Deadlines: See below Offered annually? Yes Eligible Countries:…