Nominate a Young Person for the Commonwealth Youth Awards (GBP5,000 + funded to London) 2020
Is it you? Nominations are now open for the 2020 Commonwealth Youth Awards for Excellence in Development Work. Apply now.
Application Deadline: 31st October 2019 23:59 GMT
Eligible Countries: Commonwealth countries
To be taken at (country): UK
About the Award: The Commonwealth is offering exceptional young people who are making a difference in their communities a chance to win a Commonwealth Youth Award. Nominations are opening for the 2019 edition of the awards, which includes a cash grant and a trip to attend the awards ceremony in London next March, during Commonwealth Week.
“Entrepreneurs, inventors, environmentalists, women’s rights advocates, health campaigners and political activists are just some of the diverse nominees we have had in the past. What they all have in common is their creative ideas, passion for their community and a commitment to excellence and to making a difference in their communities and the world at large. This award gives them a global platform to promote their innovations, and some funding to help them scale up their development projects,” he stated.
This year, the Youth Awards take place during the same week as International Youth Day – the UN’s annual celebration of the role of young people in creating positive change across the world. The theme of the Day is ‘Safe Spaces for Youth’. It focuses on protecting young people’s dignity and safety and helping them to make valuable contributions to development work, particularly in relation to the internationally agreed Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Eligibility: The young people who will receive the Commonwealth Youth Awards should demonstrate measurable/tangible impact through their development work.
Nominees must be:
- aged 15 to 29 years;
- a citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- been engaged in development work for more than 12 months – either in a professional or voluntary capacity;
- have a strong track record of implementing innovative ideas and linking their development work and its impact to one of the 17 SDGs;
- and have demonstrated an understanding of the importance of youth engagement in key areas of development.
Entrants can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone who is not a relative and who can testify to their work.
Selection: Sixteen finalists will be shortlisted from four Commonwealth regional categories: Africa and Europe; Asia; the Caribbean and Canada; and the Pacific. A winner will be selected from each region, and one exceptional entrant will be awarded the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year.
Value of Award:
- The 2020 finalists will receive a trophy, a certificate and cash grants to help them continue their development work.
- All finalists will be awarded £1,000. Each selected regional winner will receive an additional £2,000, bringing their total win to £3,000. The Commonwealth Young Person of the Year will also receive an additional cash grant of £2,000, bringing her/his total award to £5,000.
How to Apply:
- Submit a nomination
- Best of luck!
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
12 Best Computer Skills Employers Are Looking for – How to Use it to get a Job
25 Writing Skills You Need to Standout & Succeed in Any Field
Top 10 Skills that’ll Make You More Employable than Most People and How to Improve them