Akademie Schloss Solitude International Fellowship Programme for Artists and Designers 2017. Funded to Germany
Brief description: International artists are invited to apply for the Akademie Schloss Solitude fellowship 2017-2019. The Akademie Schloss Solitude fellowship is an international residence fellowship for artists and designers of all genre funded to Stuttgart, Germany.
Application opens 1st September, 2016.
Application closes: 30th November, 2016.
Offered annually? Bi-annually
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Germany
Eligible Fields of Study: Architecture (design, landscape architecture, urban planning), Visual Arts (including performance art), Performing Arts (stage design, dramatic texts, dramaturgy, musical theater, performance, direction, drama, dance), Design (fashion, costume, product and furniture design, visual communication), Literature (essay, criticism, poetry, prose, translation),Music/Sound (interpretation, sound installation, sound performance, composition), Time-based Media (including video, video installation, documentary and fiction film) and Web-based Media (web design, web development/coding, web art and digital journalism).
Furthermore, scholars, scientists and professionals from the disciplines of the Humanities, Social Sciences(Culture and Geopolitics), Economy/Economics (Urban Policy) and History (its practices of writing and politics in the contemporary) are invited to apply.
About the Award: At the beginning of a new application round, the Akademie stipulates a new central topic within the context of its art, science & business program which is designed to include not only fellows from all disciplines, but external specialists too. The Akademie views art, science and business as complementary rather than separate activities, which interact dynamically and encourage mutual productivity. To this end, fellows are selected in the fields of art, science & business, internal and public events are organized and publications are released. All fellows – artists, scientists and economists – are free to participate in projects related to the central topic.
Following a suggestion by the current jury chairman, Kaiwan Mehta, the Akademie will be organizing its art, science & business program around the central topic
»The Practice of History in Everyday Life«.
With this central topic, the Akademie would like to initiate a comprehensive interdisciplinary discussion about the practices of writing and politics of History in the contemporary and its implications in society.
Eligibility: Persons up to 35 or if older who have completed a university or college degree within the past five years are welcome to apply. Currently enrolled university or college students (at the time of application) will not be considered for selection. Several fellowships are also awarded regardless of the applicant’s age. It is possible to complete a project within the framework of the fellowship. 50 to 70 fellowships are allocated every 24 months. Akademie Schloss Solitude has 45 studios at its disposal.
- The independent jury consists of a jury chairperson and generally eleven specialist jurors who independently allocate the fellowships for their respective disciplines. New jurors are nominated every 24 months.
- This principle—consciously subjective, but temporally limited—increases the chances of identifying and promoting special talents, as artistic quality is not necessarily a matter of consensus. At the same time, individual decisions allow a certain artistic proximity or productive oppositions to be expected among the fellows. The jurors make their decisions according to qualitative aspects based on the samples that the applicants submit. There are no artistic conditions attached.
- No one has a legal right to be awarded a fellowship. Therefore, the jury is under no obligation to justify its decisions. Decisions regarding Solitude grants will be communicated to the applicants in writing.
- On being awarded the fellowship, the holder also receives a house contract and house rules. The fellowship is regarded as legally binding once the grant holder has signed the house contract.
Number of Awardees: 50 to 70
Value of Fellowship: The Akademie Schloss Solitude fellowship is a residence fellowship. It is expected that the fellows spend at least two-thirds of their residency at Akademie Schloss Solitude. The fellowship includes the following:
- A combined apartment / studio, furnished with electricity, water and heat free of charge
- A stipend amounting to Euro 1,150 monthly (plus one-time expenses incurred by the fellowship holder travelling to and from Stuttgart from his or her primary place of residence).The Akademie may also offer additional financial supplements, depending on its respective budget situation.
- A supplement for so-called double housekeeping (subsidy for apartment or studio costs); freight cost subsidy for the transport of materials, tools and instruments to and from Stuttgart; a project promotion subsidy and a one-time materials subsidy; in the case of non-German guests (from non EU-countries), assumption of part of their health insurance expenses.
- The use of the workshops owned by Akademie Schloss Solitude under the supervision of the technical director, are free of charge for fellowship holders.
- In light of the historical character and architectural substance of the building, the combined apartment/studios are generally only suitable for one person. In special cases the Akademie will consider allocating two studios for families.
- All artists invited to stay at Akademie Schloss Solitude are obliged to establish residence in Stuttgart for the duration of the grant (compulsory registration).
Duration of Fellowship: Fellowships are granted for three to twelve months.
How to Apply: The link to the application page
Award Provider: The Akademie Schloss Solitude fellowship