The University of Regina in Saskatchewan, Canada, is a public research university. It has been an educational platform for local and international students. Since 1911, the university has built a solid reputation in the academic world.
Here, you’ll get exposed to research work, scholarships, internships, and extensive learning. Even better, students can enroll in the Guarantee program. This program offers students a platform to launch a career after graduation. So, you are sure to land a well-paying job after you complete your learning term and graduate with a good result.
Aside from the various benefits, you’ll get, the university’s environment is also attractive. It’ll hold the attention of any student. Here, you find modern and convenient equipment to ease learning. Not only that, there are comfortable lecture rooms and a healthy living environment.
Are you wondering what the learning system is like? Then be rest assured that the university offers some of the best educational programs.
But to partake in the university’s program, there are several things to consider. Some good examples are:
- The application process
- The living conditions of the state
But what’s most important for an international student? You must apply to a school that offers the program of your choice.
In this article, we will discuss the University of Regina and all that you need to know to become a student.
So let’s dive right in!
Table of Contents
What you should know about The University of Regina
The university offers several programs for both undergraduates and graduates. It’s one of the few schools that doesn’t require IELTS or TOEFL for admission.
To browse through the extensive list of programs, you can visit the university’s website. But below are the basic things you should know about the academy.
What is the University of Regina’s current ranking?
Most times, as a student, you might like to know your prospective university’s position in the list of thousands of universities.
In 2020, ARWU Shanghai ranked the university around 701–800. This ranking is lower than its position in the previous year. But, Shanghai doesn’t rank an institution based on its reputation among employers or other academics. Instead, it ranks a University based on the number of research they carry out in an academic year. Besides, they also look at how many Nobel prizes the school’s staff have won before ranking.
The Times Higher Education has also given the university a ranking of 801- 1000 in 2021. It is a drop from their previous ranking too. However, the university is still one of the best in Canada for higher learning.
Finally, The US News & World Report ranked the university as 902, which is a big step forward from what it used to be. Before ranking a university, The US News & World considers the following
- Regional research
- Number of publications
- Global research
|Shanghai Ranking (ARWU)||601-700||601-700||701-800||701-800||Currently Not Available|
|Times Higher Education (THE)||501-600||601-800||601-800||601-800||801-1000|
|US News & World Report||Currently Not available||961||1020||1020||901|
Research Infosource Inc. also ranks the school as one of the top 50 universities for research. The same incorporation gave the following rankings for the University of Regina.
- Number one in research revenue growth among the universities established in Canada
- The number one in collaborating with international platforms for comprehensive research
Available courses at the University of Regina
Scholars and students know the university for its extensive undergraduate and graduate programs. These include full-time and part-time classes.
The institution spreads its courses across its 10 faculties and 25 departments. The university, in general, offers:
- 120 undergraduate programs
- 78 graduate programs
- Other specialized programs.
Some of their popular programs include;
- Master of Sciences (M.Sc) Biochemistry
- Master of Sciences (M.Sc) Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Software Systems Development
- Bachelor in Finance
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelors in Psychology
- Bachelor in Economics
- Bachelor of Human Resource Management
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Master in Business Administration
You can find a comprehensive list of the programs they offer on the university’s official website.
What is the University of Regina’s acceptance rate?
A university’s acceptance rate determines how many applicants they’ll admit for the session. So, a school with a higher acceptance rate tends to accept more applicants than most.
At the University of Regina, the acceptance rate for both local and international students is 85%. This means that it will admit 85% of the number of students that apply for the university.
Admission requirements at the university
Before applying for a university, you need to know what it requires before admitting students. However, the admission requirements differ with institutions.
For the University of Regina, admission depends on the following
- Your location
- Your previous school certificate
- The course you plan to study.
For high school students, you will need
- An undergraduate Application form for admission. For study permit students, you will need an international Undergraduate Application form.
- An application fee of $100 (Note, this fee is subject to change)
- A school-certified transcript. An official high school transcript that shows all grades will also be enough.
If you are applying from year 12, they’ll need a list or schedule of your high school’s remaining courses.
For international students
- An online application form
- A fee of $100
- High school transcript
- An English language proficiency test
- A copy of your recent passport
- Information on other degrees you got from other institutions (Not compulsory)
How do you apply for undergraduate studies at the University of Regina?
Once you have all the requirements, you can follow the simple steps detailed below to apply.
- Fill out the institution’s online form with the required details
- Pay the $100 application fee. To make your payment, you can use any of the following methods.
- Credit card
- Flywire (This option is for people who do not have credit cards. It allows you to transfer funds right to the university.)
- Upload all your documents in the supporting Documents session of the application form. Please note that all documents must be in PDF format. The compulsory documents to submit are
- School’s transcript that covers the last three years of your education
- Front and back pages of any other transcript aside from high school
- A copy of your recent passport
- An English Language Proficiency test
- Submit and follow up for any extra information
But, when they grant you admission and arrive at Regina, you will need the original documents.
It’s also vital to note the application deadlines before applying. The deadlines for application vary with the season. Here’s a list of their submission dates.
|Season of intake||Application Deadline|
For support in their admission process, you can contact the institution at [email protected].
What is the cost of living in Saskatchewan, Canada?
Like most institutions, the cost of tuition for international students is slightly higher compared to that of domestic students. Foreign students pay an extra surcharge of over 100 Canadian dollars per semester. In the same vein, the cost of living is also higher for international students.
Tuition and fees
The tuition at the institution has a slight variation every semester. However, below is an estimated tuition cost for undergraduates and graduates per session.
|Program||Tuition (In Canadian Dollars)|
|Kenneth Levene Graduate school of business||281,580|
|Johnson-Shoyama Graduate school of public policy||161,970|
University of Regina campuses
The university has two different campuses. The first is in Regina and the other is in Saskatchewan. The campuses in Saskatchewan are on Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 territories. In total, the university campuses have 10 faculties and 25 departments. In addition to these, it also features the following:
- 3 federated colleges are Campion College, First Nations University of Canada, and Luther College
- 18 research institutes and centers
Furthermore, other partnering centers teach some of the courses offered at the universities. These centers include:
- Yukon University
- Gabriel Dumont Institute
- And other colleges.
Accommodation at the University of Regina
The learning institution has five residence halls. They are listed as follows.
- College west
- La cite
- Paskwaw and Wakpa Towers
- Kisik Towers
- Luther College
Each of these towers consists of rooms that are spacious and comfortable for students. In addition, the university features a strong security system that makes it a safe place for students to reside. In the table below, you’ll find the facilities for each hall and its cost for a semester.
|Studio Village at Luther college||Private Dorms||2,200|
|La cite||Private Dorms||3,200|
|College West||2-7 bedroom apartments||3,200-3900|
|Paskwaw and Wakpa Towers||Shared/private dorms, deluxe studios, and 2-3 bedroom apartments||2,400-4,600|
|Kisik Towers||2/4 bedroom apartments, Deluxe studios, and private dorms||3,300-4,600|
If you are not interested in living within the institution’s premises, you can explore other off-campus options. These options are also available in rooms and private homestays. Fortunately, the off-campus housing is affordable, and you can get them within the price range of $650-$1,260
Scholarships at the University
There are tons of scholarships that you can access on the university’s website. These scholarship and fellowship programs come with different requirements. So before you apply, you must read through to see if you have what it takes.
International students can also access several fully funded scholarships in Canada.
Common questions students ask about the University of Regina
Is getting into the University of Regina difficult?
No, it’s not
The university has an acceptance rate of 85%, which means that it accepts 85% of its applicants. As long as you meet every requirement, the university will consider you for admission.
Is The University of Regina good for international students?
Yes, it is
The school ranks as one of the 1000 best universities globally. Why? Simply because of its extensive academic and research programs.
The institution is also located in one of the strongest economies in the world. This means that you can enjoy a high standard of living while studying in a conducive environment.
What is an ELP?
ELP stands for English Language Proficiency. Students can use the English language to communicate fluently. This includes both written and oral communication.
Is an English Language Proficiency (ELP) test compulsory for international students?
If English is not your first language, you must submit an English proficiency test. But, there are some countries that the university recognizes which doesn’t need an ELP.
You can go through the university’s list of recognized countries for more information.
What happens after I have applied?
After applying, ensure that you always check your admission status. To check your admission status, follow the following steps:
- Enter your login details which you used when submitting your application
- Go to the “Processed Applications” heading and click on the term you applied for.
This is what you should know about your admission status.
- If it is “Incomplete, Items outstanding,” your application is missing some vital information. So you have to add them, or they won’t review your application.
- If it reads “Complete, ready for review,” the university has received your information. It means someone is reviewing it.
- If it reads “Decision made,” your application has passed the review stage. Given that, you will receive a letter that contains the university’s decision in 2 business days.
What do I do when I get admission?
Once you get admission into the University of Regina, here are the next steps to take.
- Deposit an amount of money
- Prepare your documents for immigration
- Find the best housing option
- Register for the classes
- Travel to Regina for your orientation
The university will provide other necessary information for you to follow.
Here is why you should study at the University of Regina
There are several reasons why this university is a good option for aspiring students. The location is friendly and holds many opportunities for domestic and international students.
Besides, the university offers comprehensive learning packages throughout their learning period.
The most attractive attribute of the university is its graduate guarantee program. This enables more than 90% of its graduates to get a job placement almost immediately.
With all you have read so far, you now have all the information you need to apply to the University of Regina. Even better, you have the opportunity to receive several scholarships for international students. So if you want to study in Canada without IELTS, you need to consider this school.
Meta description: the University of Regina is a public research university. Find out about the programs that are offered here. If you want to study at one of the best universities in Canada, then this is the place for you.