How to Study in Canada Without IELTS
For the purpose of this article, IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is an international exam that uses four different exam modules to test the applicant’s linguistic ability. These modules include:
- Listening and
You cannot talk about admission in any international university without mentioning IELTS because it is a necessary admission requirement in countries whose courses are offered in English language. Canada is one of those countries. However, there are certain conditions that exempt an international student from securing admission in a Canadian university without having to present IELTS as a gate pass.
Why You Should Study in Canada
Planning to study in Canada means one thing – you have written the IELTS exams. Possibly too, you must have worried about the authenticity of studying in Canada without IELTS. You must have spent sleepless nights thinking all hope is lost because you have no IELTS test score.
Hey! Worry not, as there are some universities in Canada which do not give a hoot about IELTS and would still accept your application if you meet other requirements. Amazingly, that is why we are here – to give you all the answers you seek regarding this situation.
It is certain that for you to study anywhere in foreign countries as an international student, the IELTS exam is as important as carrying your luggage with you. With the IELTS exam, you have the opportunity to apply for studies in any college or university situated in Canada. However, you’ve got some options to jump the hurdles without IELTS.
For example, the online courses offered by these institutions do not require IELTS exam to access them. and the most beautiful part is that you don’t need to reside in Canada to offer these online courses.
That is not all about the news. For you to complete your studies in Canada, you will need the Canada study permit. With your student visa, you could get the permit. Like it has been pointed out, not all the universities and colleges can offer you the chance to study in Canada without IELTS. For those that would be glad to have you study in their institution, you need to meet one or a combination of the following conditions:
- Other English proficiency tests like TOEFL, CAEL, CanTEST, and so on;
- You must have studied in an English-medium school for up to four years;
- You have attended the institution’s language school for up to one semester;
- You are coming from an English speaking country to Canada; and
- You have completed either O’Level or A-Level and were taught in English.
If you meet one or a combination of the above criteria, chance are very unlimited for you to study in Canada without IELTS. That is, if your college or university choice has a waiver for IELTS.
10 Countries You Can Study Abroad Without IELTS or TOEFL + Universities
Colleges that Offer Education to International Students Without IELTS
- University of Saskatchewan: It offers you an alternative of a two-year diploma in Canada before your main programme, or a three-year diploma assuming it took place outside Canada.
- University of Winnipeg: You need proof that you took an English Language programme at the University of Winnipeg before applying.
- Brock University: You need Brock’s Intensive English Language Programme, a waiver letter in English Language Proficiency that proves that education was offered in English language at your previous university.
- University of Regina: You must have completed a post-secondary education that was offered in English Language. However, you need to check out the website of the university to know if your previous university and the country you offered are exempted from the list.
- Carleton University: You need official transcripts for the previous three years of high school, college, or university, where education was offered in English language.
- Memorial University: You need to attend an intensive English programme at the St. John’s campus or Grenfel campus wings of the Memorial University.
- Concordia University: For graduate business students, you must have taken an academic English course at Concordia University. However, the condition is not the same for every student.
The above-named universities also have options for scholarships. So, you can as well check the available scholarships and their eligibilities. This will help you to cut some costs while studying abroad.
There are other options you could access without IELTS exams and they include:
- Language Proficiency Certificate. English Language Proficiency (ELP) programmes are provided to international students who are from countries with English Language as their second language and are also relocating to Canada. You need to check if your country of origin is eligible before applying and also find out the language requirements for the university or college of your interest.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
- CanTEST (Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees.
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language) assessment.
- PTE (Pearson English Language Test).
These exemptions are university-based. You need to find out the requirement for each school on their official website before applying.
Why You May Consider not to Take the IELTS
Some of the reasons that could make a student not consider taking the IELTS exam includes:
- The price for the IELTS exam may be daunting for some students, based on their financial capabilities.
- IELTS structure may not be favorable to students who are not confident in their writing skills as it requires writing both long and short essays.
- The speaking section of IELTS requires a face-to-face meeting and this could be intimidating for some students who lack confidence and could get nervous while answering the questions. Also, the speaking section could require a different day from the other examinations and this could be stressful for students who have limited timeframe.
For the above reasons, some students may not wish to take the IELTS exam because it may frustrate their chances of passing the examination and ultimately, gaining admission.
Universities in Canada that do not charge any application fees
It is of great importance to note that some universities in Canada charge application fees in the ranges of between $150 – $200. This is a great blow on international students with strong financial needs. Worst still, these application fees are non-refundable once they are paid.
Sometimes, you must have applied to up to 10 different universities, only for your applications to be turned down and your financial resources wasted. This means that the application fees are no guarantee that you would be considered for admission. The universities claim that the application fees are used for logistics and that is why they are non-refundable.
Not to fear, we have been able to discover four universities in Canada that do not require application fees for both domestic and foreign students. It is very good to first look out for schools that charge no application fees. If they reject you, it is not a death sentence. Consequently, you need to find out their reasons for denying you the application. This could be helpful in preparing yourself for those that charge application fees. You could make the necessary corrections and changes that caused you the rejection.
So, here is the list of the five schools in Canada that does not charge any application fee.
- Royal Roads University
The school is a public university that is located in Colwood, British Columbia. It offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programmes to both domestic and foreign students. It houses about five thousand students yearly.
Royal Roads University gives each application quality consideration, irrespective of the fact that it charges no application fee. All you need is your eligibility for admission to be given equal opportunities like your competitors. Also, consideration is given to those who apply online.
- Quest University International
Just like Royal Roads University, Quest University International does not charge any application fee for online application. However, this consideration is given if you are applying before the application deadline. Any application afterward might attract a fee for the application to be acceptable.
Quest University is a public university that is located in Squamish, British Columbia. The school is very small and has about 700 students annually. Most of the specialty courses offered in the school focus on Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Booth University College
This is one of the most famous universities in Canada that do not accept application fee. However, it requires a fee of 500 CAD from applicants that have been considered for admission. The aim is to enable the student to secure his or her admission slot.
- Redeemer University
Redeemer University also charges no application fee for international students. Notwithstanding, just as Quest University, charges application fees for those who apply after the deadline for application. In a nutshell, for you not to pay for application fee in these schools, you need to apply before the deadline.
Redeemer University could be found in Ontario, Canada. Furthermore, it is a religious university and combines both academics and religious activities. But this does not mean that the school is biased in offering admission to their applicants, irrespective of their religious background.
You may ask if there are other languages you may apply to study in Canada. Quebec is a good option. Generally, the primary language of the Quebeckers is French language. This means that you will be required to show your proficiency in the French language instead of English language. You can also visit the websites of the universities to find out more about their terms and conditions.
In conclusion, note that if you do not take the IELTS examination, it may be difficult for you to study abroad, as it will limit your options to only certain universities. Hopefully, with Canada, you may be lucky to be offered admission, so far you meet the university requirements of the selected universities. All the best to you.