Top 5 Destinations for Nigerian Students to Study Mass Communication
Mass communication is generally a study that deals with the process of creating, analyzing, sending and also receiving messages whether written or verbal over a certain medium of communication. Some of these media of communication can be; the internet, radio, social media, television and so on. Mass communication is wide and multidisciplinary in nature as it incorporates other related fields of journalism, media management and other communication procedures.
Mass communication has taken another height and it’s no longer limited to just printing newspaper articles or reporting news on the television or radio stations, it has in fact infused advanced technology which now makes the career more sought after and highly ranked. In this age and time, anyone can get access to news by just holding a smartphone that is internet enabled even before the local news station reports it. Advancement in mass communication has made this accessible because there are faster means of handling information and dispensing it to the readers. That is why a current event happening right now can be known to everyone mostly through the social media platform.
Mass Communication as a University Degree; Course Outlook and Course Requirements
The field of mass communication is vast and the career options are somewhat inexhaustible, the specialization of mass communication varies from journalism, media studies, reporting, advertising, and many more.
Degrees in mass communication generally require its students to be critical thinkers and well-informed because that is the basis of the theories of mass communication. Students are also expected to have a lot of multidisciplinary skillset of storytelling which has to be through visual mediums, oral and in written form, data analysis, writing and editing, audience segmentation, and research competencies and so on.
Masters in mass communication focus mainly on the foundational theories and concepts in exchanging information and messages while making use of large-scale media. Practical knowledge is been used and the curriculum of coursework in this field of study includes; research work in mass communication, media law, telecommunications, digital media, theories of mass communication and other related subjects.
Syllabus of bachelor in mass communication includes:
- Introduction to journalism; reporting, writing and editing
- Introduction to advertising
- Media laws and ethnics
- Theory of communication
- Application of computer in media
- Radio and television journalism
- Public relations
- Media research
- Communication research
- Syllabus of Masters in mass communication includes:
- Introduction to communication
- Media law and ethnics
- Media management
- Radio and television production
- Media technology
- Film studies
- Environment communication
- Public relations and corporate communication
- Print media.
The above course outline are not all that there is to degrees in mass communication, these are just outlined for you to have an insight into the possible study patterns made use of in mass communication.
Top 5 Destinations for Nigerian Students to Study Mass Communication
In order to study mass communication abroad, it is wise to go through the possible study destinations where one can get the best form of education in the required field. Ass communication is a much respected course and has a lot of career field depending on the individual and university of study. Other things to also put into consideration includes; the cost of living in that country, tuition fee and also the level of education importance. Below are outlined 5 top study destinations for mass communication students.
- Australia: Australia offers outstanding courses in mass communication where it prepares students on how to write quality news and how to make use of other media of communication effectively. Australia has some of the top universities which offer media studies, an example of some of the universities include, the Queensland University of Technology, Queensland University and the University of Melbourne. The universities in Australia allow students planning to undergo a postgraduate or honors degree in mass communication to specialize in a particular discipline in the field of study. The cost of living in Australia is quite affordable since students are usually given some form of discount for transportation and also the Australian government allows foreign students to take up part-time jobs while studying.
- United States of America (USA): the USA is one of the top countries of the world to study mass communication and journalism. The country is home to some of the finest institutions such as; Columbia University, the University of California, the University of Texas, and so on. Universities in the USA tutor their students in mass communication in diverse fields like broadcast journalism, multimedia, news production amongst others. The cost of living in the USA is quite high due to the exchange rate of dollar to naira, but Nigerian students can get access to scholarships and other forms of financial aid made available to foreign students.
- Canada: Canada is gradually becoming one of the top countries of the world for students to study mass communication abroad. The choice of this country is influenced by many factors such as its affordable tuition, availability of scholarships, and also the affordable cost of living in the country. Some of the high-ranked universities in Canada include; McGill University, the University of Alberta, Simon Fraser University among others. Canada is student-friendly and accommodates students from different parts of the world and in turn, makes living cheap and easy for them by making available scholarships and part-time jobs while studying.
- Spain: this country is also well sought after among foreign students who want to study mass communication abroad. Although Spanish is the major language of communication, there are also undergraduate and postgraduate courses been taught in English. It is well-advised that foreign students brush up their Spanish language skills when going to Spain for studies. Spain has a lot of opportunities such as paid internships, scholarships and so on. The cost of living in Spain is on average, with easy transportation which can be by bus or train to save cost and tuition is also affordable for international students studying in the country.
- United Kingdom: is surely among the top countries of the world to study mass communication and it is popularly known as the media capital of Europe. The universities in the United Kingdom are research-based and media-oriented in their study programs. Among its accredited institutions for studying mass communication include but are not limited o; the University of Westminster, City University of London, and Loughborough University. The United Kingdom offers renowned scholarships also to international students. The notable Chevening-Commonwealth Broadcasting Association Scholarship is offered at three different leading universities in the UK which mainly includes; the University of East Anglia, the City university of London, and the University of Westminster. The United Kingdom not only accommodates foreign students but also offers them scholarships to cover tuition fees and monthly expenses to care for their extra expenses.
You Need to Watch This! Why Most African Graduates Earn Less Than $150 5 Years After School
What Can I Do With a Degree in Mass Communication?
Mass communication has a variety of career opportunities and its graduates can work in almost any sector namely; hospitals, financial services, consulting firms, radio stations, banks, newspaper companies, government agencies and lots more. A mass communication specialist or graduate must already have a strong background in content creation and digital management in order to excel in any chosen career of choice. Below are some of the potential careers in mass communication for your perusal:
- Journalist: these people work in newspaper agencies, radio and television stations, where they investigate and write reports on important events and happenings in the environment or country. In journalism, there are different areas of specialization and for one to excel in such field; you would have to choose your journalism field, either in politics, health, finance or social issues.
- Web content specialist: these specialists focus on search engine optimization (SEO) in content creation. They manage websites and try to implement contents which are focused on their reader’s interests. The web content specialist makes use of SEO to assess the performance and web traffic of their reader’s engagement in order to know what interests them and also ensure the website stays relevant to its target audience.
- Marketing director: they are involved in managing and implementing the creation of multimedia advertising as well as other marketing assets to engage customers and sell their products. The marketing directors make use of customer relationship management and software to monitor the response and engagement of customers in their products and services.
- Marketing specialist: marketing specialists usually work in close relation to the marketing directors who are in charge of making new plans to implement them in marketing and advertising campaigns.
- News anchors and correspondents: news anchors and correspondents work in television and radio stations, where they are involved in news compilation, reviewing, and passing it to the audience. These news anchors are usually in the limelight and in front of the camera often since they are like the face of the news agency.
- Event presenters/anchors: event presenters are usually in charge of handling events, welcoming the guests, and also making sure all sounds are in place. Event anchors are usually well known since they handle a lot of events and the pay is really good for a graduate of mass communication.
Mass communication is a job for the future, in as much as events would always occur and information and news need to be passed out to people. Pursing a degree in mass communication would definitely set one apart from the crowd and the course outline of mass communication guides the student in the art of storytelling and communication. Studying mass communication abroad is definitely a great stride for Nigerian students who want to excel in the mass communication field.