MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa Academy Program 2022 for Aspiring Film-makers
MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa Academy Program 2022: It is with pride that we announce that the M-Net Magic in Motion (MIM) programme will now be known as the MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa (MTF ZA) in line with MultiChoice Africa’s broader MTF programme.
Application Deadline: 3rd June 2022
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be taken at (country): South Africa
About the Award: If you frame your world through camera angles, narrate reality like a movie script, and edit the montage of your life like a film director, then here’s a flash-forward into your future – MultiChoice Africa is calling all aspiring film directors, DOPs, sound guys, and scriptwriters to help us ignite Africa’s creative industries. Who knows, perhaps one day your name will be rolling across the closing credits on our DStv channels.
Now approaching its eighth year, MTF South Africa is a 12-month long industry readiness programme that affords the opportunity to learn from some of the leading Industry experts in the country, while acquiring valuable experience in directing, producing, cinematography, commissioning, art direction and many other skills.
“The MTF Academy is our commitment to the future of our industry and gives young Africans the chance to hone their television and film production skills through a world-class training programme. After so many successful years, we’re proud to announce a new call to entry to and look forward to meeting the next generation of African film makers,” says Bobby Heaney, Director of MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa Academy.
The programme has three pillars:
- MTF South Africa Academy– a one year internship academy for university graduates from qualifying institutions who meet the academic qualifying criteria.
- MTF South Africa Scriptwriting Incubator– a one year programme for budding scriptwriters. This programme is not limited to university graduates.
- MTF South Africa Bursary Programme– Full one year tuition for second year or higher university students from qualifying institutions who meet the academic and the financial need criteria will be considered.
The MTF Academy was established in 2014 and has been instrumental in helping transform the South African film and TV industry by upskilling students and empowering them with substantial knowledge and experience in just 12 months.
Collen Dlamini, Group Executive of Corporate Affairs at MultiChoice, adds: “The MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa continues to ignite Africa’s creative industries, with alumni working on M-Net and Showmax productions and the list keeps growing. This talent is helping us to realise the vision of taking African stories to the world, and the type of training they get broadens their skillset and allows them to be economically active in various sectors, not only the film industry. This is exactly what the industry needs and why MTF was launched. As Africa’s most loved storyteller our commitment is not only to tell authentic African stories but to also invest in them.”
To date, 86 students have been trained through the Academy and are making their mark in the video entertainment industry. About 24 Mzansi Magic movies have been produced by participants of this programme and more than 20 graduates have started their own production companies, including: A tribe called story, Eccentric Circus, Beyond Black, Seamless Cut, Zethu’s Tales and Channel Up.
MultiChoice Talent Factory graduates will also get to showcase their portfolio of work on the MTF Portal – a database for film professionals across the continent, where they can access job opportunities, keep up to date with industry news, and expand their network.
At MultiChoice Africa, the African entertainment industry is at the core of who we are and what we do. This social investment programme shows our commitment – alongside long-term partnerships with government, stakeholders and creative organisations – to develop Africa’s creative industries into vibrant, economic centres. This is how MultiChoice uses the power of entertainment to enrich lives.
Type: Training, Internship
Eligibility: Applications to be part of MultiChoice Talent Factory ZA (MTFza) Academy class of 2022 are now open. MTF is a 12-month long industry readiness programme that affords the opportunity to learn from some of the leading TV producers in the country while acquiring valuable experience in the directing, producing, cinematography, commissioning, art direction and many other skills.”
- Internships only available to South African citizens
- Must have completed (in 2021/ or completing (in 2022), a 3year Diploma / Degree in Film and TV or related qualification
- Must have achieved a minimum of C + Aggregate
Value of Program:
- The Academy interns will receive hands-on training in producing, directing, cinematography, production commissioning, concept creation, script writing, sound, art direction, editing, post-production and more. The course has been designed to bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and practical implementation in order to produce highly employable professionals.
- Upon completion of the 12-month curriculum, Multichoice will choose three exceptional interns to produce their own films and like years past, some of these movies could find their way onto a small screen near you.
How to Apply: Apply here