United Nations ECA Fellowship Programme 2021 for Young African Professionals
The ECA is hereby inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the
following thematic areas below
Application Deadline: 14th April 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Addis Ababa time
About the Award: This Fellowship programme aims to provide practical, on-the-job experience to the young
professionals in their early and middle career in the academy, public sector or international development in providing them exposure and learning in a multicultural environment of the UN and contribute to the work of ECA. It will also provide the candidates with the opportunity to familiarize with the Commission’s broad programmes and services to member States and subregional bodies in addressing economic and social dimensions of Africa’s development priorities. This should expectedly improve their skills, capacity and intellectual ability.
- Macroeconomic policy, Economic Governance & Public Finance;
- Private Sector Development & Finance, including Innovative Finance & Capital Markets;
- Poverty, Inequality and social policy;
- Gender equality and women empowerment;
- Demographic Dynamics for Development;
- Innovation and Technology;
- Climate Change &Management of Natural Resources, including Green Economy;
- Industrialization and Economic Diversification Policies;
- Development Planning and Statistics;
- Regional Integration; Infrastructure and Trade;
- Labor Economics and Employment
- Communication and strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation;
Eligibility: This call is open only to nationals of the Economic Commission for Africa member States.
The UN regulations on temporary positions and the following conditions will apply:
- The candidate applying for this fellowship programme must be 35 years of age or below, at the time of the application;
- The candidate must be a national of a member State of the Economic Commission for Africa;
- The candidate must have graduated before 1 March 2019 from either a master’s degree or doctorate degree programme, or equivalent;
- The candidate should have interest in one or more of the identified thematic areas;
- The selected candidate will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or ECA Centres, and contribute to other activities;
- The selected candidate should participate in national, regional or international meetings as assigned for exposure;
- The selected candidate should submit and present at a seminar a peer reviewed research paper at the end of the assignment; and
- The selected candidate will be part of an alumni association of ECA Fellows and member of practicing international development “community of practice”.
Eligible Countries: ECA Member countries
To be Taken at (Country): Multiple duty stations
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The selected Fellows must be available to travel to the assigned duty station as may be decided by ECA after the selection process;
- The selected Fellows will receive a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and the assigned duty station;
- The selected Fellows will receive a one-off settling-in grant of USD 3,000 and a monthly stipend of USD 3,000 each for the duration of the fellowship. Note that the final month stipend will only be paid upon submission of:
- A peer-reviewed fellowship research paper,
- A comprehensive fellowship report, an approved final performance evaluation of the fellow,
- A completed fellowship programme evaluation form and
- An exit boarding pass or immigration stamp showing that the fellow has departed the duty station and returned back to his/her home country, where both are not the same, at the end of the fellowship programme.
Duration of Award: The fellowship program is for six months but may be extended for a maximum of
another six months.
How to Apply: ALL SUBMISSIONS TO BE EMAILED TO: Email Address: [email protected]
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.