Medicine and surgery is a great profession entailing so much and takes a lot of time and human resources to complete. Studying abroad may seem like a sure means of achieving your dream of pursuing your career in medicine and surgery. But when you put the finances into consideration, it becomes overwhelming.
Upon making headway and then completing their medical studies, many students are met with the decision to choose from a range of medical specializations. Aside from becoming a medical practitioner in either a hospital or other clinical centers, students can also look for opportunities in other fields like research institutes and also teaching jobs.
Since medicine is a lucrative field, there is an increasing number of international students from across the globe who are looking to pursue medical degrees abroad. However, the cost of pursuing this field is very high. Therefore students seek scholarships and grants to help salvage the situation. This article aims to assist you in getting scholarships.
Top 10 International Scholarships to Study Medicine
Studying medicine abroad can be challenging and costly. This put a stop to the dreams of so many students who wish to study for a medical degree abroad. Many universities, organizations, and also government agencies now offer scholarships to deserving students to pursue their medical degrees. If you are looking for such a scholarship to continue your medical education and to study medicine and surgery abroad, below is a comprehensive list for your perusal.
1. Chevening Scholarships: is offered by the UK government for international students and is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The scholarship is awarded to deserving students who present leadership qualities from all across the world. The scholarship grants cover a monthly stipend, travel costs, thesis or dissertation grant, and also a tuition fee waiver.
- The scholarship is open to international students from across the globe.
- Applicants most show leadership qualities and proof of financial need before applying.
2. Physicians of Tomorrow- American Medical Association (AMA): the American Medical Association funds the medical scholarship which is targeted at medical students who have high medical debt or financial difficulty in achieving their dream. These scholarship opportunities are awarded to only third-year medical students and the grant amounts to about $10,000.
- Scholarships are awarded based on the academic excellence and financial needs of the students.
- Students must already be admitted and currently, be in the third year of studying for a medical degree in the university.
- Candidates must possess certain credentials such as a transcript, letter of recommendation, and so on.
3. International Undergraduate merit awards: this award is been taken at Newcastle University and it is awarded to deserving students with great academic achievements. The scholarship is partial funded with a value of about £1500 to cover living expenses and other needs.
- The scholarship is awarded to only two students each year with good academic background.
- The scholarship is awarded to international students who wish to study medicine and surgery at the Newcastle University.
Also read 10 Reasons Why you Should Study Medicine
4. Chinese American Physicians Society (CAPS): offers a yearly scholarship to international students studying medicine in the USA. Applications are based on financial needs, academic profile, and so on. CAPS offers a scholarship value of about $2000 to $5000 to students.
- Applicants are awarded based on a number of factors such as financial need, academics, essays and community service records.
- Application is open to international students who are in need of assistance to complete their studies.
5. the University of Auckland, School of Medicine: offers scholarship to international students with plans to pursue a medical degree in New Zealand or already studying at University of Auckland. The University of Auckland offers quite a number of scholarships each year to deserving students.
- Scholarship is open to international students from specific countries around the globe.
- The application is only open to students who wish to study medicine and surgery in the University of Auckland or in New Zealand.
6. University of Dundee: offers scholarships for students to study medicine and surgery. Among the scholarship offered is the Minimal Access Surgery which awards students a value of up to £5,000. There are two kinds of Scholarships under this program, Financial Hardship Scholarship and Academic Merits Scholarship all awarded by the university.
- Application is open to students who wish to study medicine and surgery and the University of Dundee.
- The scholarship is awarded based on two main categories of academic marriage and financial hardships.
7. International awards for Surgical Education-American College of Surgeons: This scholarship is awarded by the American College of Surgeons which offers two distinct international awards in the field of surgical medicine. Each of the awarded scholarships amounts up to $10,000 in value and it also provides a chance to deserving international students to further learn and research in surgical medicine.
- The scholarship is awarded to students of medicine only to study in any of the American universities.
- Successful applicants are selected based on financial needs and academic profile.
8. Edith SeVille Coale Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to only female medical students going into their second or third year at the medical school. Candidates must possess an excellent academic record along with the valid need for financial aid. Furthermore, candidates must be enrolled in either of the following medical colleges to be eligible: Georgetown University School of Medicine, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Howard University College of Medicine, and The George Washington University Medical School of Medicine and Health Sciences. The scholarship award amount varies between $5,000 to $8,000 each year.
- The scholarship is awarded so only female medical students in some selected universities in America.
- Applicants most poses approve of financial needs before the application can be viewed and processed by the awarding institution.
- epics and most be in the second or third year before applying for this scholarship.
9. MRes Cancer Biology Scholarship: the scholarships awarded by this organization ranges from £500 to £3,000 and it is awarded as a tuition fee waiver for international students entering into the MRes Cancer Biology Program abroad.
- The scholarship is available for international students who wish to study cancer biology in medicine abroad.
- Applicants must be international students and must possess proof of financial need and excellent academic profile before been considered.
10. COTACTyL Scholarship: is available for Mexican students entering to study MRes Cancer Biology in the university. The scholarship fund also offers the Dow Memorial Trust funding for Undergraduate International Students who have been accepted to study medicine and surgery or dentistry program at the accredited university.
- The scholarship is available for international students who wish to study MRes cancer biology in medicine abroad.
- Applicants must be international students and must possess proof of financial need and excellent academic profile before been considered.
See more Scholarships for Medicine here.
Recommended Video: Top 10 Canadian Universities to Study Medicine
These Countries Pay the Highest Salaries for Doctors Across the Globe
In many parts and countries of the world, doctors and other medical professionals are among the highest paid people in the country due to the challenging nature of the job, the time spent in their studies and research and also the fact that they are responsible for the well-being of the general population in that particular country. There are some countries of the world who pay their medical professionals heavily and also invest a lot into their health care syatem. Among such countries are those outlined below.
The United States average salary of $370,000: How much a doctor can make depends on where they practice and their gender. Generally, male doctors in the US make 36% more than their female counterparts. The pay gap was narrowest for anesthesiologists (12%), radiologists (13%), and family practitioners (14%). Orthopedists top the list with annual average compensation of $443,000 (salary, bonus, and profit-sharing contributions), Cardiologists $410,000, dermatologists $381,000, and the lowest being pediatricians $204,000. Specialists are highest paid in North Dakota ($472,000) and lowest in Rhode Island ($291,000). Primary care physicians are highest paid in Arkansas ($330,000) and lowest in the District of Columbia ($192,000).
Canada, average salary $338,000: There are over 90,000 doctors in Canada, and are increasing faster than the country’s population. The ratio of doctor to person ratio stands at around 228 doctors per 100,000 people. The average pay ranges from $258,000 in Nova Scotia to $366,000 in Alberta.
Australia, an average salary of $260,000: Neurological surgeons are the highest earners making as much as $430,000 a year followed by ophthalmologists with $420,000, and in terms of location those in Sydney or Melbourne can earn up to 50% more. Other medical specialists that get paid the highest are cardiologists, plastic and reconstructive surgeons,s and gynecologists/obstetricians.
Netherlands, average salary $253,000: this country also tops as part of those who pay their doctors very well. The country’s healthcare system is also top-notch with many foreigners also enjoying the health care system by taking out a form of health insurance. On average, Netherlands pays its doctors about $253,000 each year.
Belgium, average salary $188,000: is another great country that pays its medical professionals quite well. With a yearly payment of about $188,000, Belgium stands out as a place where medical graduates can get a very good job with a nice pay.
Ireland, average salary $183,000: Ireland spends around 8.1% of its GDP on its health care system and has around 2.76 beds per 1,000 of its population which are always well attended to.
United Kingdom average salary $150,000: Generally, salaries vary widely based on the grade and experience of the doctor. Britain’s trainee doctors start at around £26,000 a year rising across 12 different pay bands to £65,000. Specialty doctors earn a basic salary of £37,923 to £70,700.
France, the average salary of $149,000: The basic fee per patient in the country stands at around $28 for each medical trip. France pays its doctors approximately $149,000 each year and it makes the country one of the very few who value the importance of a good medical and health care system.
Switzerland, average salary $130,000: The country has around 32,000 doctors. The highest-paid are the heart specialists, gastroenterologists, neurosurgeons, and radiologists
Denmark, average salary of $91,000: goes last on our list of the top 10 countries which pay their doctors well. Although the country pays the least on our list, Denmark is still one of the best places to get gainful employment after medical school. With a yearly income of about $91,000, it is a good start in achieving your dream of becoming a sought-after doctor.
Best 5 Countries in the World to Study Medicine
Medicine is a large field of study and takes up so many years in the university together with years of internship. As an aspiring medical student in search of a study destination, below are top 5 countries to expect the best.
Russia: this country offers quality education which is also affordable even for international students. The Russian government also allocates up to 15,000 scholarship awards for international students from different parts of the world planning to study in the country. To study for a medical degree in Russia, international students are expected to spend about 2000 USD each year to USD 6000 per year. Completing your medical degree in Russia places the student on employment opportunities in leading medical centers and hospitals around the world.
China: China is known to possess a very fast-growing economy in the whole world and its educational sector is also gaining a lot of recognition according to the Times Higher Education (THE). Studying medicine in China can go as low as 2600 USD each year as compared to other study destinations in the western world. Studying medicine in China possess as a great opportunity to learn traditional medicine and ancient medical techniques taught in the country. This allows the students to broaden their knowledge about medicine not just in the western world but also traditionally which can be applied in the future.
Ukraine: is a popular destination to study medicine choose by international students. This is due to the many world-class universities which are supported by the government of the country to provide affordable tuition fees. One unique thing about studying in Ukraine is the fact that it is not compulsory for students to pass the entrance examination before they can be accepted to study in the university. Students can pursue a medical degree in Ukraine for as low as 4000 USD to 6000 USD per year. The Ukraine medical certificate and license are valid worldwide and can be used to practice medicine anywhere.
Kyrgyzstan: is a country located in Asia and it is known to have a beautiful landscape. Pursing a medical degree in Kyrgyzstan is a great decision and would definitely enable the student to achieve the desired results. This country has also become extremely popular over the past years, especially for students who wish to get a medical degree. Not only the tuition fees are affordable, but Kyrgyzstan has all the right equipment and facilities for its medical students. The MBBS here is also offered in the English medium. Tuition fees in Kyrgyzstan range between 3000 USD each year to 7000 USD each year. No entrance exam is required for you to get a medical degree in this country.
Philippines: is known to have a low cost of living and education while still giving out the best education necessary. Pursuing a medical degree in this country is definitely an excellent choice as it has one of the best medical education systems in the whole of Southeast Asia. Tuition fees range from around 7500 to 12000 USD each year.
10 Medical School Scholarship to Study Medicine and Surgery Abroad
There are some notable institutions abroad which offer a scholarship to foreign students in order for them to complete their studies in medicine and surgery. Here are outlined some of those universities and institutions which offer full or partial funding for medicine students.
- University of Auckland John Hamel MacGregor Award in Medical Science: This scholarship is focused majorly on awarding Medical scholarships for both international and domestic students to study for a Bachelor of Medical Science or at a postgraduate research degree level at the University of Auckland located in New Zealand.
- University of Melbourne Baillieu Research Scholarship: this Scholarship is meant for medical students to study their choose course in Australia at mainly the graduate level or degree solely in the University 0f Melbourne.
- University of Wollongong Undergraduate Scholarship: The university targets students who want to attend a Medical school by providing scholarships for majorly undergraduate students, who wish to study Medicine and surgery and other related Health care and nursing field programs at the University of Wollongong located in the heart of Australia.
- ACLS Scholarship for Healthcare Providers: the scholarship is made available for medical students who need the assistance of a scholarship grant to complete their studies. The scholarships are awarded to students that are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate level in the medical program. Students would need to write an essay contest explaining and talking about the emergency medical care in your own perspective as a medical student. This is one of the strong bases for getting acceptance for the scholarship.
- AMA Minority Scholars Award: this Medical scholarship is targeted at the less privileged international students studying medicine in the USA. Students from places like African-Americans, Alaskan Natives, American Indians, Hispanics, and Native Hawaiians are said to be majorly eligible to apply for this medical school scholarship in order to assist them and boost their career opportunities.
- American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships: the scholarship is intended for International student scholarships for graduates who are interested in medical teaching or research and after the program the students must be willing and agree to research in the US upon completion.
- AMWA Awards: The American Medical Women’s Association is used to fund medical school scholarships and fellowships. These scholarships are offered to all AMWA student members and in order to enjoy such privilege, you will need to become a member in order to be qualified for this medical school scholarship.
- ASCP Siemens Scholarships: This is a variety of medical school scholarships for those students who are graduate medical technologists, technicians, and scientists already but wish to study in the USA at any accredited medical schools in order to achieve their area of specialization in the medical field.
- ASME Grants and Fellowships: This is a wide range of international student scholarships focused on helping medical students, teachers, and also researchers to continue their medical school education in the USA and in even other parts of the world outside the country.
- Doctor on Demand Scholarships; Health organization: these types of scholarships are offered to major medical students or any student who wants to study in any medical-related field. This scholarship also enables students to study at any chosen university in the US.
Medicine is one of the many courses or field of study with great importance in human life and as such, medicine and surgery encompasses a lot of medical fields and terminologies and still remains one of the most important careers in the world. Even without the advent and use of technology, medicine has always found a way around preserving human lives. Nowadays with a lot of inventions many organizations, governments, NGOs have made it a point of contact to reach out to as many students as possible willing to study medicine but due to lack of funds, which is always the main cause of students dropping out of school by providing scholarships and grants. We hope this article assists you in achieving your dreams to study medicine and surgery at the desired institution of your choice.