The Institute of African Studies (IAS) at the University of Ghana, with funding support from the Open Society Institutes of Africa, is calling for proposals for two post-doctoral fellowships as part of its Gender Equitable and Transformative Social Policy for Post-Covid-19 Africa (GETSPA).
Application Deadline: 15th May 2021
About the Award: The overarching goal of this project is the transformation of the approaches to and cultures of social policymaking and implementation to establish Gender Equitable and Transformative Social Policy approaches in Africa.
Eligible Field(s): Post-doctoral fellows will participate in the research and publications component of the project, specifically in producing papers that provide a pan-African, sub-regional or comparative perspectives on key issues and debates in social policy.
The following is an indicative list of themes that post-doctoral fellows could consider:
i. social and economic policy interface and synergies
ii. gender-equitable social policy
iii. politics and the democratic underpinnings of social policy
iv. key debates in the field social policy
v. new and neglected dimensions of social policy
This list is not exhaustive and, therefore, applicants are free to propose other themes relevant to a gender-equitable and transformative social policy agenda.
• Applicants must have been awarded a doctoral degree from a recognized university within the past 5 years (not earlier than 2015).
• Applicants must also have a record of research/publication in social policy-related areas in African contexts.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
• Work from their country of residence.
• Work in a cooperative manner with members of the GETSPATechnical Team, one of whom will be assigned as a primary supervisor.
• Assume primary responsibility for the development of their research.
• Participate in project conferences and seminars.
• Produce papers for publication.
• Assist the lead investigators with editing issue papers and reports.
• Any other tasks needed for the successful execution of the project.
• The monthly honorarium is $1,000 (inclusive).
Duration of Award: The duration of the fellowship is eight (8) months—from 1 June 2021 to 31 January 2022.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit the following documentations:
• proof of award of degree
• a CV
• a 3- to 4-page concept note: a statement of the primary areas of interest the applicant intends to work on during the fellowship period and a clear timeline of activities and outputs
• two letters of reference
Email applications and/or enquiries to GETSPA PIs at [email protected].
The subject field should include the phrase “GETSPA post-doc”.