Google Summer of Code 2021 for Students (Get Paid to Write Code)
Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development. Students work with an open source organization on a 3 month programming project during their break from school.
Application Deadline: 13th April 2021 at 19:00 (West Africa Standard Time)
Eligible Countries: All (Particular interest will be taken for students from Africa except countries currently embargoed by the United States)
About the Award: Through Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic pursuits. In turn, the participating projects are able to more easily identify and bring in new developers. Best of all, more source code is created and released for the use and benefit of all.
Students contact the mentor organizations they want to work with and write up a project proposal for the summer. If accepted, students spend a month or more integrating with their organizations prior to the start of coding. Students then have three months to code, meeting the deadlines agreed upon with their mentors.
Eligibility: To participate in the Program, a Student must:
- be eighteen (18) years of age or older upon registration for the Program;
- be enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution, including a college, university, masters program, PhD program and/or undergraduate program, as of the Acceptance Date;
- for the duration of the Program, be eligible to work in the country in which he or she resides; and
- not be an Organization Administrator or Mentor in the Program.
- Ineligible Individuals. A Student may not participate in the Program if:
- He or she is:
- a resident of a United States embargoed country;
- ordinarily resident in a United States embargoed country; or
- otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs.
- He or she is an employee (including intern), contractor, officer, or director of:
- Google or its affiliates, or
- an Organization or any of its affiliates.
- He or she is an immediate family member (including a parent, sibling, child, spouse, or life partner regardless of where the Student lives) of one of the individuals listed in subsection (ii) above or a member of their household (whether related or not).
- He or she has participated as a Student in Google Summer of Code two (2) or more times previously.
- He or she is:
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value and Duration of Program:
- Accepted students spend the summer coding with guidance from a mentor (3 months).
- Successful student contributors are given a $6000 USD stipend, enabling the student concentrate on coding for 3 months
How to Apply: Apply
It is important to go through the Application Requirements before applying