Funza Lushaka Bursary 2022 for South African Students
Applications for Funza Lushaka bursary for 2022 are open.
Application Deadline: 1st February 2022
Eligible Field(s): Two types of qualifications can be funded as shown below. The qualification must include subjects which will allow the student to specialise as a teacher in at least two priority subject areas (see next section below).
- Undergraduate studies: 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (BEd), specialising in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6) and Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7-12).
- Graduate studies: One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for graduates whose degrees reflect two priority subjects where one module/course was successfully completed or studied at third year level while the second priority subject was successfully completed or studied at second year level.
N.B. Only the PGCE (Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching) (Grade 7-12) will be funded through the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme.
Type: Undergraduate, Graduate
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number;
The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability;
- Applicants should be 30 years and below to qualify for the Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries to Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children is not permissible.
- The Funza Lushaka bursary does not fund extended programmes.
- The applicant must be accepted into an approved BEd degree or PGCE programme to specialise in two or more of the priority areas.
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability.
- The applicant must show commitment to a teaching career, which includes: interest in working with young people; enthusiasm for a professional career in teaching; readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges and personal integrity.
- The applicant must be committed to teach in any school to which a student may be placed by a Provincial Education Department (PED).
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be Taken at (Country): South Africa
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value & Duration of Award:
- The Funza Lushaka Bursary is awarded for one academic year at a time. It is not automatically re-awarded. A reward will depend on academic progress. There is no automatic promise of financial support for a fifth (5th) year of study i.e. beyond the 4th year of study. On evidence of good academic performance, and pending the availability of funds, the bursary may be re-awarded.
- Recipients of bursaries will be required to teach one year for every year for which they have received the bursary.
- What the bursary covers: Funza Lushaka bursaries cover most of the recipient’s essential expenses. Expenses covered include tuition fees, accommodation including meals, books and learning materials, teaching practice and if possible a small allowance for monthly living expenses.
- The allocation to any individual student is capped at a specific value. Where the university charges more than the capped value the bursars will have to top up from their own funds. Universities have different cost structures, so the total value of a bursary differs from institution to institution.
How to Apply: Apply below
All first time applicants must be 30 years or younger to apply for Funza Lushaka Bursary.
- Open the e-Gov portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Register by providing personal information
- Login to the system using user name and password created when registering
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- On the dashboard menu click on the 2022 application button
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured