CERN Summer Student Internship Programme 2022 (Member and Non-Member States) for International Students
CERN Summer Student Internship: Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Online Summer Student Programme!
Application Deadline: 31st January 2022 at 12 am CET
Eligible Countries: Member and Non-Member countries
About CERN Summer Student Programme: Take part in CERN’s Summer Student Programme!
Over a period of 8 to 13 weeks, you will work on an advanced technical project in an experimental or engineering team.
During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing. Visits to the CERN facilities, as well as discussion sessions and workshops are also key features of the programme. Find out more on the Summer Student information page. A short report on your work and project at CERN will be expected at the end of your stay.
In order to qualify for a place on the CERN Summer Student Programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2022, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2022 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not been previously a Summer Student at CERN.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of CERN Summer Student Programme:
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 8 to 13 weeks* to work on a technical project.
- An extensive physics lecture programme (students will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by Openlab).
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).**
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
* Candidates coming from a CERN Non Member State country can stay for a duration of 8 weeks only. (Find here the list of CERN Member and Associate Member States).
**The few students who are paid directly from a national funding agency have to come to CERN with their own insurance coverage.
Duration of CERN Summer Student Programme: 8 – 13 weeks
Every Monday from beginning to end of June, namely 7 June*, 13 June 20 June, 27 June and 4 July 2022..
*Exception is Tuesday 7 June, as Monday 6 June 2022 is an official holiday at CERN.
How to Apply for CERN Summer Student Programme:
You will need the following documents, clearly labelled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
- A CV.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure there is no protection so that we can open it).
- Two mandatory reference letters (dated less than 12 months), from your lecturers and/or previous internships.
If you are a national of either Canada, Japan or United States, please apply via the following websites:
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards). Please note that all the documents you upload will remain attached to your Smartrecruiters profile. You do not need to upload them again for other applications you might submit.
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. If you have not yet uploaded your reference letters when applying, you should forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (Monday 31 January 2022 12 noon CET time).