You may be thinking of the top reasons you should study in the UK and what’s in for you. Just know that you are not alone. Several people are considering the UK. Yet, they lack the right information to guide their decisions.
For that, we have compiled this comprehensive guide for you. And hopefully, you will get all the conviction to keep you running with your study abroad dreams. Here are the top reasons you should study in the UK, including other factors to consider:
25 Things You Didn’t Know About Studying In UK
About the UK Education System
The United Kingdom has value all over the world for its great educational standards. Also, for its institutions which have been, over many decades, producing the best sets of graduates. Moreover, the certifications the UK universities offer are acceptable in all countries of the world.
As an international student who intends to study in the UK, you must first apply for a student visa. Also, you must show the means of financing yourself. And this may be whether through scholarship or personal means, throughout your stay in the UK.
Furthermore, one of the top reasons to study in the UK is the tuition, although they vary from university to university. While some may charge so much, depending on the course of study in question, others may charge, depending on other factors.
In addition, there are scholarships by different institutions and the UK government to support international students who want to study abroad. You can access them if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Moreover, UK student visas allow international students to work while they study to support themselves financially. This can also enable them to gain work experience. In some universities, there are career centers that help students gain part-time job placements in different companies and organizations. The UK universities also do not make compulsory health care insurance as some other countries of the world do. The reason is that the country offers free health care insurance for international students who are there to study for over 6 months.
Cost of Living and Studying in the UK
Another top reason to study in the UK is the cost of living. Hence, before moving to the United Kingdom to study, you need to put some factors into consideration. Such factors are accommodation, travel expenses, and other living expenses. As a result, you need to make a budget of how much you are likely to spend each week. And so, it would help you to manage your funds accurately.
Tuition fees are also reasons you should study in the UK. For undergraduate degrees in the UK, it would average around $17,000 to $25,000 per year and this is also dependent on the course of study because some courses, like medicine, would charge more than others. Conversely, the tuition fees for postgraduate international students are about $10,000 – $15,000 per year. This also depends on the course. Also, laboratory research programs would charge more than a full-time degree.
On average, an international student can be said to spend about $1300 to about $1600 per month on general living expenses. However, this may be more, considering the student’s lifestyle. Books, travel, entertainment, and other necessities can be well managed by you according to your pocket size and budget.
For accommodation, international students get on-campus space for their first year and this may cost about $85- $220 per week. This on-campus accommodation may come with amenities. And they include an internet connection, a gym, and even a personal bathroom. However, this is depending on the university and cost of living.
There are also accommodations outside the school. But the cost largely depends on your choice of housing and amenities. On some occasions, the landlords of this accommodation may ask for a British guarantor from an international student. But in the case where that is not an issue, a rental fee of up to 3 to 12 months may be paid upfront before you can secure a flat.
Availability of scholarships is another top reason you should study in the UK. In some UK universities, international students have the privilege to apply for a scholarship. That is, whether as an undergraduate or for graduate programs. Besides, these scholarships, in a way, help and support the students financially. In some cases, they may help in the partial payment of their tuition fees or for general living expenses.
Also, the scholarship award can be around $2500 – $10,000. As an international student, you can work and study for an average of 20 hours each week with a pay rate of $12 per hour. Equally important, each university in the UK operates a career center that assists students in getting part-time employment. So, there may be no need to search for a job yourself.
10 Reasons You Should Study in the UK
Studying abroad can be a very challenging option for study. This is most especially when you consider accommodation and other forms of expenses which you would incur abroad. In the same way, the two most important factors to consider are your university of choice and the course of study. Language is also very important because it is the only way in which you can easily communicate when you get there.
All the same, going to the United Kingdom to study comes with some of the benefits. And they would enhance your study and make you comfortable financially. Below are 10 reasons you should study in the UK:
- Renowned universities: One of the reasons to study in the UK is that the UK universities are prominent. They also rank top in the tables of Times Higher Education Rankings. Also, two of the oldest universities in the world, the University of Cambridge and Oxford Universities are in the UK and they always rank among the top. The educational qualifications from any university in the UK are recognized and acceptable in any country around the world where you choose to work. Additionally, a UK university certificate would always give you an edge in getting work opportunities in the future.
- Quality education: This factor is one reason you should study in the UK. Moreover, the United Kingdom is famous for its centuries of quality and high standard of education. For that reason, UK universities are always ranked top in the world’s best and leading universities categories. More to the point, the research in the UK is useful for our everyday life and to the scientists.
- Different courses to choose from: The UK universities offer a wide range of courses and degrees for international students to choose from and study. That is, from sciences to arts, tourism, business, and the rest. Remarkably, these courses are all taught by world-leading academia. If there is no other reason this is a beautiful reason to study in the UK.
- Large international student population: The UK welcomes international students from all around the world. And so, you would always find a large number of international students in the UK studying as well. Equally, the postgraduate courses have more international students and the number increases every year.
- Work opportunities: Obtaining a UK student visa automatically allows international students to work and study in the UK. Considerably, they can work for about 20 hours each week and full-time when on school breaks. The United Kingdom also operates a minimum wage which comes with an hourly pay rate.
- Free health care: The UK government allows international students studying for more than six months to have a free health care program. This makes the universities in the country different from other countries. That is, international students have to get a health insurance policy.
From emergency health care attention to surgeries, the United Kingdom takes care of all the expenses for its students and international students alike. Considering the importance of health, we added it as one of the reasons you should study in the UK.
- Cultural diversity: the United Kingdom is very welcoming to people of a different country, tribe, or religion. Without a doubt, the country’s culture is rich and diversified which makes foreigners feel at home and welcomed. Likewise, there are also different places of worship and no obstruction in allowing people to practice their religious activities.
- Shorter degrees: Talking about the reasons you should study in the UK, this is one outstanding reason you should do so. In other countries, most undergraduate courses take up to four or five years before graduation.
But in the UK, there are shorter undergraduate courses that take up to three years to finish, and two-year duration courses are also fast becoming popular. Similarly, there are short postgraduate courses that take up to just 12 months to graduate as in the UK universities.
- Support for international students: One of the reasons you should study in UK institutions is that they provide financial help to international students. Also, they are in the form of scholarships and other financial grants. What’s more, this is done to support students in their tuition fees or general living expenses.
To be more precise, international students are eligible to apply for this scholarship. That is, before the commencing of the academic year in their university. If there is nothing else, this should be a good reason you should study in the UK.
- Sharpen your English skills: The English language is one of the top languages in the world. And since the United Kingdom is an English-speaking country, it is beneficial to international students. This, they can achieve as they interact and live among the citizens of the country. English language is not only in studying but is also made use of in the global business space.
Considering several factors, we believe that the above are the top reasons you should study in the UK. Among the three big study abroad destinations of Australia, the USA, and the UK, the United Kingdom is said to be the cheaper study option for international students.
By and large, the country’s educational system is of a high standard that dates back to centuries ago. That is, UK universities are always on top of the tables of the world’s best institutions.
Furthermore, the United Kingdom is a great study-abroad option for international students. This is because it is very welcoming and has a large population of international students in its universities.
What’s more, this keeps increasing every year. That is one of the reasons you should study in the UK. To also help international students financially, the government permits them to work while they study and also offers scholarships to lessen their expenses.
Studying in the UK is a good option because the qualifications obtained from any of its universities are well recognized and accepted for work opportunities anywhere in the world. We hope you will find reasons you should study in the UK because you deserve it and you can also take advantage of numerous scholarships in the UK
How do you go about your admission processing into schools in the US and Canada? Don’t worry! We’ve got your back! Enrolling in the top universities in the world can increase your chances with employers. Unfortunately, studying abroad can be expensive due to the current economic crisis. But this shouldn’t limit you as there are other options you can explore to enhance your career.
MPower Finance and Prodigy Finance are some of the best student loan providers for international students. They also do not require any cosigner or collateral before application. At EdXtra Associates, we can help you with your loan application process. We also provide educational consultancy services for international students to help make your journey easier and faster. You can reach out to us, as we’d love to guide you through this journey.