African Development Bank AgriPitch Competition 2020 for African Entrepreneurs
The African Development Bank’s Youth Agripreneur AgriPitch Competition and DealRoom connects expansion-ready, youth-led African businesses with global investors (debt, equity and/or grant).
Application Deadline: Ongoing
About the Award: The DealRoom focuses on youth-led agribusinesses under the themes of nutrition and gender inclusivity. The goal of the AgriPitch Competition and DealRoom is to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in agriculture among youth in Africa and to generate jobs, create wealth and improve livelihoods through inclusive growth across the continent.
African companies that meet the criteria below are encouraged to submit their deal information for review by the Bank’s and Asoko Insight’s data teams. Qualified businesses will be promoted through the Asoko portal to global investors for matching. Interested investors can match with any deal by registering their profile and selecting target deals.
Eligibility: Companies that are in one of following categories: Youth with early stage Start-ups, Mature Start-ups, and Women Empowered Businesses as per the African Development Bank criteria are eligible to apply for the AgriPitch Competition and Virtual Investor DealRoom
- Sector of focus: Agribusiness
- Company meets the criteria for a category:
- Start-ups: Must have a clearly defined prototype or proof of concept and may or may not have had any products introduced to the market.
- Matured Start-ups: firms with existing market traction: technology, product, service, etc., already on the market with a clear investment ask and growth plan & strategy.
- Women Empowered Businesses: In addition to the criteria for a mature start-up, firms must have at least 51% share of women ownership or founded by a woman.
Selection Criteria: All applicants should consider this criteria carefully as they build out their profile for submission.
Value Proposition and Innovation Rationale (30% weighting):
- How creative is the idea or how creatively the idea solves a problem related to ICT and agri-digitization?
- Gender responsiveness
- Addresses nutrition
- Job creation potential
- Competitive edge
Sustainability and Scalability (20% weighting):
- Sound environmental management systems
- Potential for scaling-up
- Sufficient and qualified staff, including management
Business Feasibility & Traction (30% weighting):
- Clear customer pain/need intensity and market size
- Commercial and technical feasible with strong profit margins
- Existing traction and customers (for matured start-ups)
Professionalism and Presentation of Business (5% weighting):
- Structure and presentation of the business model
- Ease of comprehension of the business
- Strong writing/presentation skills
Investment Appeal (15% weighting):
- Investment pull based on respective early start-up, matured start-up, and all-star stage
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at: Online
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The African Development Bank will award shortlisted businesses between US$10,000 and US$40,000 in the form of grant capital (US$120,000 in total is committed).
Duration of Program: November 16-20, 2020
How to Apply: SUBMIT INTEREST
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.