The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program helps Canadian institutions attract highly qualified doctoral students.
Application Deadline: 1st November, 2017 20:00 EDT
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be Taken at (country): Canada
About the Award: The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to brand Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. VCS supports students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health. The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
Information for nominating institutions: Nominating institutions are encouraged to consider diversity in discipline, gender, official language, and citizenship when considering which applicants to nominate for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program.
Fields of study: The Vanier Scholarships support doctoral research in social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering, and health-related fields.
Eligibility: Open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign students pursuing a doctoral degree at eligible Canadian universities
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- -be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- -be pursuing your first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2016.
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR,NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidates research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as defined by the following qualities:
- Personal Achievement:
- Involvement in Academic Life:
- Volunteerism/community outreach:
- Civic engagement:
Value and Duration of Scholarship: $50,000 annually for three years.
Number of Scholarship: Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually.
How to Apply: Candidates must be nominated by the university at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
It is important to go through the Application requirements in the Scholarship Webpage before applying.
Award Providers: The Vanier’s scholarships are administered by Canada’s three federal funding agencies:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)