IDRC Research Awards 2023 for Canada & Developing Countries
Applications for the IDRC Research Awards 2023 for Canada & Developing Countries, are now open.
Application Deadline: 1st February 2023 at 23:59 EST.
About the IDRC Research Awards:
This year IDRC will offer research awards related to these development areas or themes:
- Climate-Resilient Food Systems,
- Democratic and Inclusive Governance,
- Education and Science,
- Ethics in Development Research,
- Global Health,
- Policy and Evaluation, and
- Sustainable Inclusive Economies.
All awards will be based in Ottawa except for the Global Health award that will be based in Nairobi.
If your research proposal is selected, you will join IDRC as a Research award recipient for a period of 12 months with a salary in Canadian dollars between CA$42,033 to CA$48,659 to undertake research on the topic you have submitted. You will receive hands-on experience in research and program management and support, grant administration, and the creation, dissemination, and use of knowledge from an international perspective. Meet some or our former IDRC Research award recipients.
For payroll purposes, you will be considered a full-time non-union employee of IDRC. Benefits include employer contributions to employment insurance, employer health tax, the Canada Pension Plan, and paid vacation leave. Some travel and research expenses are also supported, up to a maximum of CA$15,000.
Eligibility for IDRC Research Awards:
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and citizens of developing countries with a work permit valid for full-time work (37.5 hours per week) in Canada until 30 April 2023
- Students from low or middle-income countries who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada who have a valid student work permit and are enrolled in a Canadian university
- Students who are enrolled in or who have completed a master’s program from a recognized university within the last three years or students enrolled in a PhD program with a recognized university
- Preference will be given to students who have completed a master’s degree or who are enrolled in their first two years of a PhD program
Additional eligibility requirements
- The proposed research must focus on one or more developing countries.
- These awards may be part of an academic requirement.
- The specific eligibility criteria of each research theme must be satisfied.
Please note: Successful award recipients cannot receive any other Canadian government scholarship, award, subsidy, bursary, or honorarium, or hold any federal government contract in support of a research/work project for the duration of the award. This includes any other IDRC award and any award managed by another institution but supported in whole or in part by IDRC, such as the Queen Elizabeth Advanced Scholars program.
Research proposal evaluation criteria
- Relevance of the proposal to IDRC’s mission and mandate
- Relevance of the proposal to selected development outcome area
- Clarity and quality of the proposal
- Clarity and appropriateness in addressing the ethical considerations and gender dimension of the proposed research
- Applicant’s capacity to conduct the proposed program of research including academic qualifications, local language abilities, and related experience
- Applicant’s capacity to conduct program of work, including related employment experience
Eligible Countries: Canada (citizens & permanent residents), Developing countries
To be Taken at (Country): IDRC’s head office in Ottawa, Canada.
Number of Awards: 6
Value of IDRC Research Awards: Salary for one year in Canada: CA$42,033 to $48,659
Duration of Award: 12 months from 1 May 2023 to 26 April 2024
How to Apply:
Completed Research proposal submission and Academic information and professional qualifications form and a copy of your valid student work permit or full-time work permit valid at least until 30 April 2023, if applicable, which must be uploaded as part of the application process (Note: If these documents are not uploaded your application will not be considered)
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Visit Award Webpage for Details