United States International University-Africa (USIU) Post-doctoral Research Fellowship 2020 for African Researchers
The Department of International Relations seeks to appoint a full-time Post-Doctoral Research Fellow for the research project ‘Understanding the Dynamics of Water Scarcity and Conflict in Kenya’, under the British Academy (UK) Global Challenges Research Fund.
Application Deadline: 20th January 2020
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): USIU-Africa, Nairobi, Kenya
About the Award:
As a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, you will conduct fieldwork in three Kenyan Counties (Isiolo, Marsabit and Narok), and undertake library and archival research. You will also be responsible for report-writing on the project, working closely with Professor Kennedy Mkutu (USIU-Africa) and Professor David Anderson (University of Warwick). You may also be required to make presentations on the research findings of the project, assist in the organization of project events, and attend project events in the UK as well as in Kenya.
- Conduct fieldwork in Isiolo, Marsabit, and Narok, including periods of residence in these Counties;
- Conduct archival research at the Kenya National Archives, Nairobi, and in government libraries and other depositories in Kenya;
- Manage and maintain an archive of the research materials collected on the project, including interview transcripts and archival materials;
- Organize and manage project events, specifically workshops and seminars to be held in Nairobi;
- Write reports on research carried out, and participate in the preparation of research material for presentation at workshops and conferences, and in the preparation of materials for publication;
- To undertake specific management functions as may reasonably be required by the project Co-Is, including attendance at meetings.
- PhD or equivalent in IR, Politics, History, Anthropology or related field
- Fieldwork experience in Kenya
- Knowledge of and experience in archival research methods
- Ability to undertake independent international quality research
- Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to write with clarity, and demonstrable capacity to complete assignments to specific deadlines
- Ability and willingness to contribute to the general activities of the project.
- Good IT skills with basic programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience in making presentations.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: KES 260,840 per month (2000 Pounds per month)
Duration of Award: The contract duration is 18 months, commencing from February 3, 2020.
How to Apply:
- Interested applicants must provide a CV, cover letter, and a writing sample (either a chapter from your thesis, or a paper submitted for a conference or publication).
- Applications must be forwarded to the Chair of International Relations USIU-Africa, Prof. Cassandra Veney, [email protected] by January 20, 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews in the week beginning January 27, 2020.
- Kindly direct all informal inquiries to Professor Kennedy Mkutu at [email protected].
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It