Are you a rising female entrepreneur based in Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa using tech to solve a local development challenge? The International Tech Hub Network is today launching Africa-UK: Female Tech Founders 2020.
Application Deadline: 21st November at 5pm (GMT)
Eligible Countries: Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa
To be Taken at (Country): UK
About the Award: The programme will bring 15 of the continent’s most ambitious development-focused women entrepreneurs to the UK in January. If you’re based in Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa, you could gain access to world-class mentoring, 1:1 time with UK investors and expert training to help scale your company.
Diversity is good for business. Research by Tech Nation shows that businesses with diverse boards raise more investment and report higher turnovers.
Our programme aims to support gender inclusive economic growth with a specific focus on empowering women with the skills and connections to overcome the existing digital gender gap.
1. Female founder leading a company within any tech sub-sector
2. Can demonstrate a clear business model
3. MVP product or prototype (i.e. must be fully operating in market)
4. Can demonstrate clear social impact potential
5. Can demonstrate commitment to strengthen the local ecosystem by passing on learnings to other startups
6. Ambition to expand internationally in the future
Number of Awards: 15. Five founders from each country will be selected to join the delegation to the UK in January 2020.
Value of Award: Across a three day tailored programme (20 – 22 January), participants will benefit from masterclasses, events and workshops designed to provide in-depth training on how to scale and grow their business, expand into the UK, and how best to position their purpose-driven organisations. Participants will discover the UK’s thriving tech ecosystem, exploring new opportunities for global partnerships and increased investment through peer-to-peer networking.
The agenda will include:
- Training session led by successful female tech leaders sharing their funding journey
- Masterclass event covering: protecting IP and raising offshore funding; accessing finance; scaling a purpose driven social impact business; protecting customers’ data
- Roundtable with GEP alumni addressing scaling successfully in the UK
- Tailored mentoring event with UK startups, including female founders
- Innovation tour of co-working spaces, including Google Campus
- Networking dinner with UK and African entrepreneurs
Activities will be delivered by UK tech experts and the Department for International Trade’s Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP) Dealmakers and alumni, including prominent female tech leaders.
The programme will be delivered alongside the Africa Investment Summit, taking place in London on 20 January. We expect winners to be able to attend the Summit.
Duration of Award: 20 – 22 January 2020
How to Apply:
- Find eligibility criteria and further details in the application form