The call for applications for the funding period 2019/20 is open. Apply from July 1 to August 5, 2019.
Application Deadline: 5th August 2019 23.59 pm CET
Eligible Countries: International
To be Taken at (Country): Germany
About the Award: The objective of the scholarship program is to support students with outstanding academic records showing exceptional merit. All undergraduate and graduate students (bachelor’s and master’s level) – except doctoral students – of Freie Universität Berlin can submit an application for the Deutschlandstipendium. With only a few exceptions, funding is only possible until you reach the end of the standard period of study (Regelstudienzeit) of your major subject. Applicants whose studies exceed the standard period of study are required to add an informal statement to their application describing the reasons for the extension of their studies.
Type: Undergraduate, Masters
Selection Criteria: As this is a merit-based scholarship program, scholarships will be awarded by the selection committee based primarily on academic merit. Additionally, the following criteria will be considered:
- Awards, prizes, scholarships, work activities, work in a family business and internships. Internships will only be recognized in the selection process if they are voluntary and additional internships that are not included in the curriculum and are not recognized as part of the requirements for your degree and if they total at least 120 hours. Please do not list any other internships in your application. ONLY LIST ACTIVITIES IN YOUR APPLICATION FOR WHICH YOU PROVIDE CERTIFICATES/ DOCUMENTATION WITH YOUR APPLICATION, AS THE AFOREMENTIONED CRITERIA WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IN THE SELECTION PROCESS IF CERTIFICATES ARE PROVIDED. ONLY LIST WORK ACTIVITIES AND INTERNSHIPS DONE AFTER 01/2016.
- Volunteer work, social or political commitment (activities without pay in clubs, churches, social projects, political activities, in school or university committees etc.). ONLY LIST ACTIVITIES IN YOUR APPLICATION FOR WHICH YOU PROVIDE CERTIFICATES/ DOCUMENTATION WITH YOUR APPLICATION, AS THE AFOREMENTIONED CRITERIA WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IN THE SELECTION PROCESS IF CERTIFICATES ARE PROVIDED. ONLY LIST ACTIVITIES DONE AFTER 01/2016.
- Personal circumstances and family background (chronic illness, disabilities, taking care of children or other relatives who require care, educational level of parents, immigrant family background).
Number of Awards: 50
- Scholarships available to students from all departments: 30
- Scholarships available to students of specific departments: 20
Value and Duration of Award: The monthly scholarship payment amounts to 300.00 EUR and is initially granted for 12 months. In addition, the university offers the possibility for scholarship students to participate in the mentoring program and benefit from the support and feedback from an experienced professional.
How to Apply: To apply, please follow the following instructions:
- Fill in and submit (click “send”) the Online Application Form,
- Prepare all required application documents
- Submit the application documents compiled in one single pdf file by email or post (required documents are listed in the next paragraph) by August 05, 2019.
Required Application Documents
- Matriculation certificate of the next fall/winter semester indicating Fachsemester and Hochschulsemester (if it is not yet available, it can be submitted subsequently until Sep. 30, 2019)
- High school and university/college certificates and transcripts of academic records:
- University entrance qualification/ Abitur (not required if you are a master’s student),
- University degree (if you already graduated) or a study overview, if your certificate has not been issued yet,
- Transcript of academic records, for example Leistungsübersicht from Campus Management (transcript of your courses and grades; please be aware of the information below in paragraph “Certificates”),
- If your grades are from a foreign education system: documents indicating your grade converted into the German grading system (for example the Uni-Assist report (Prüfbericht) if you applied for your study program via Uni-Assist e.V.).
- Certificates of awards and prizes, documentation of scholarships, employment and internships, volunteer work and social or political activities etc. (refer to “Selection Criteria” 1) and 2)).
- If you would like to apply for a scholarship in the entrepreneurial field: documentation of any activities in this area (e.g., setting up your own business, participating in the Business Plan Contest, Funpreneur Contest, etc.).
- One recent letter of recommendation of a professor (or a teacher if you haven’t studied at university level before). Please use this form: English (doc), English (pdf), German (doc), German (pdf).
All documents must be compiled in one single pdf file. The file name must include your last name. Please limit your file size to a maximum of 10MB!
A certified German translation is required if documents are not issued in German or English
Incomplete applications and applications not submitted in due time will not be considered in the process of selecting scholarship holders. Only the matriculation certificate can be handed in after the application deadline. Any other document submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.