ASSA and Cooke Astronomy Scholarship 2019/2020 for Study in Southern Africa
The scholarships are intended to encourage the study of astronomy, at undergraduate (2nd year up) or, in exceptional cases, postgraduate level, at any Southern African university, including those which offer astronomy courses to part-time students in distance-learning mode.
Application Deadline: 1st February 2019.
Eligible Countries: Southern Africa
To be taken at (university): Southern African universities
About the Award: The Astronomical Society of Southern Africa administers two scholarships:
- the ASSA Scholarship, funded by ASSA, and
- the Cooke Scholarship, funded by a donation from the PE People’s Observatory Society.
Eligibility: Criteria are a demonstrated interest in astronomy and a good academic record. Preference will be given to:
- previous scholarship-holders who have made good progress in their studies;
- applicants who are not in receipt of other scholarships or similar funding;
- (for the ASSA Scholarship) ASSA members.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The scholarship will contribute towards academic fees and the cost of prescribed books, and is valid for one year. Payment of academic fees will be made directly to the university concerned. Scholarship awards shall be based on an evaluation of the applications and the recommendations of the relevant university department. Applicants may be required to be interviewed at an ASSA Centre convenient to them.
How to Apply: One application should be submitted for consideration for both scholarships. There is no standard application form, and only the following items must be submitted.
- A covering letter, outlining your career plans and explaining your interest in astronomy.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A statement of your intended course of study (full details of subjects and modules, and their costs) for 2019.
- A statement that you either have no other bursary or scholarship, or where you do have a scholarship or bursary, the amount, source and conditions.
- A copy of your final official results from your previous year of study (this will be 2018, unless there are unusual circumstances).
- A recent letter of support from a lecturer.
- Additional recent letter(s) of support, if relevant.
- Full contact details, including e-mail, residential and postal addresses, and phone numbers.
Applications and queries should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com, no later than 1 February 2019.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying