DW Akademie Data Journalism Fellowship 2019 for Early-career Data Journalists from non-OECD Countries (Fully-funded to Germany & Italy)
Dataship is a 12-month fellowship program that brings together 15 of the brightest early-career data journalists from non-OECD countries to foster the development of data-driven reporting.
Application Deadline: 8th February 2019 23:59 CET
Eligible Countries: non-OECD countries
About the Award: The program combines tailored trainings and networking opportunities, offering selected fellows a unique and exclusive opportunity to learn, exchange ideas and connect with their counterparts around the world to become advocates of data journalism in their own countries.
DW Akademie believes data journalism has great potential to drive transparency and fuel greater accountability and good governance. We consider this to be an important prerequisite for people to make informed decisions and pursue an open social debate. Visualizing digital sources allows for different perception and new perspectives, making the technology a great modern asset to traditional journalism. The fellowship demonstrates DW Akademie’s long-standing commitment to supporting quality journalism around the world.
Technical skills: Applicants should be familiar with the tools of data journalism. In particular, they should:
- Know how to use advanced spreadsheet functionalities such as pivot tables, filters and vertical lookups.
- Know how to use online visualization software such as Datawrapper or Infogram.
Experience: Applicants should have published at least one story using data journalism techniques in a news media.
Country of residence: Applicants should be residents of a country that is not a member of the OECD.
English language: Applicants should have a command of English corresponding at least to the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Note that, apart from the application form, participants will not be expected to write in English (unless they choose to write their project in English, of course). However, English will be the language of the trainings and conferences.
Number of Awards: 15
Value of Award:
What you receive as a fellow
- Up to € 2,000 to support your project work.
- Two all-expenses-paid training sessions in May 2019 and January 2020. The trainings are tailored to fit your (and the other fellows’) learning needs.
- All-expenses-paid invitations to two major conferences to present your project work. We connect you with a growing community of data journalists worldwide and ensure continuous exchange of resources, knowledge and best practices.
- Ongoing support from experts (UX designers, D3.js programmers, statisticians, graphic designers, project managers…) throughout the program.
What we expect from fellows
- Produce a great data-driven project before April 2020 (expected work volume: 120 hours) and report on progress once every two months.
- Publish your project with a local media organization.
- Attend the two training sessions and the two conferences.
- Participate in conference panels or other events when appropriate.
- Communicate about your participation in the program (e.g. blog posts).
- Work in a positive and respectful way with other participants.
Duration of Programme:
- First meeting: May 6-10, 2019, in Belgrade.
- Second meeting: September 2019 at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Hamburg, Germany.
- Third meeting: 3-day training in January 2020 (Location TBD).
- Program ends: April 2020 at the International Journalism Fest in Perugia, Italy.
How to Apply:
Documents to be submitted: In the application form, you will be required, among other items, to submit:
- A statement of up to 1000 words outlining your proposed data project,
- A sample of your work (please see specific requirements above).
Applications should be made online by filling out this form.
If, for privacy or security reasons, you do not wish to use a Google Form, feel free to download the form, fill it out and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in a GPG-encrypted e-mail (public key is in Programme Webpage link below).