Hertie School of Governance 2020/2021 Doctoral Programme for International Students (Tuition free +Stipend)
The Doctoral Programme in Governance is open to candidates with an exceptionally strong master’s degree (or equivalent) in economics, law, political science, sociology, public administration, Management, or related fields. The doctoral programme starts at the beginning of September each year with a group of about 10 PhD students.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2020
Applicants are usually informed within two months after submitting their application.
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Germany
About the Award: With a PhD obtained in Doctoral Programme in Governance, students are at the cutting edge of social science knowledge in a field that has emerged as one of the most important and dynamic fields of inquiry. It brings together perspectives from economics, political science, law, and sociology, and requires excellence in qualitative and quantitative methodologies. It is problem-oriented, both in a theoretical as well as practical sense. Above all, the field of governance is inherently comparative, international, and policy-oriented.
- The programme is designed for students with a desire to understand fundamental problems and patterns of governance at the highest level of academic research.
- Candidates should have a very strong foundation in one of the disciplines represented at the Hertie School of Governance – economics, law, political science, sociology as well as public administration/management and related fields.
- They should be open to interdisciplinary research and comparative perspectives, as governance and public policy issues typically transcend the boundaries of academic disciplines.
Selection Criteria: Applications that successfully passed the first step will be assessed by two internal reviewers. They identify possible dissertation advisors (based on the candidate’s proposition) and assess the different elements of the application:
- Quality and fit of research proposal
- Academic performance and references
- CV and motivation letter
Number of Awards: 10
Value of Award:
- The Hertie School of Governance does not charge tuition fees for its doctoral programmes, but seeks to ensure that all admitted candidates have secured the financial means to support the three-year doctoral programme in Berlin. It therefore offers 10 living cost stipends of 1,250 euros per month (including 100 euros for research and travelling) for a period of three years.
- The Student Affairs team (studentaffairs[at]hertie-school[dot]org) offers support in administrative issues such as visa, residence permits, health insurance, etc.
Duration of Programme: 3-year, English-language doctoral programme (180 ECTS)
How to Apply:
- Apply now
- Before applying, please check the list of potential supervisors to make sure that your intended research project is in line with the areas of research represented by the Hertie School’s faculty. Since the Hertie School is currently in the process of hiring new professors, we recommend checking the list on a regular basis between September and January. We kindly ask interested students not to contact potential supervisors before their application.
- It is important to go through ALL Application requirements before applying
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It