Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Blue Charter Fellowships 2019 for Academics in Commonwealth Countries
As part of the Marine Plastics Research & Innovation Framework, the ACU is launching a new fellowship programme that will provide 35 academic fellows with 2-3 month placements at ACU member universities across the Commonwealth, as well as in industry.
Application Deadline: 7th November at 23:59 GMT.
About the Award: The Commonwealth Blue Charter affirms our collective commitment to preserving and nurturing the world’s oceans. Part of this includes tackling marine pollution – specifically the issue of marine plastics, which are drastically affecting the health of our oceans, marine life, and the Blue Economy.
These fellowships will support world-class research and innovation in marine plastics, and help fulfil the objectives of the Commonwealth Marine Plastics Research and Innovation Framework.
Field of Study: Research and research translation areas will cover the broad area of marine plastics, including:
- preventing plastics from getting into the sea
- developing alternatives to plastics
- the potential for cleaning up the seas
- sustainable design
- plastics waste management
- green chemistry, including degradable polymers
- the effects of plastics on aquatic life
- education around plastics use and consumer behaviour
- sociological and media approaches to plastics
Type: Fellowship (Academic)
- Applicants must be PhD students or post-PhD research staff at ACU member institutions in any Commonwealth country.
- Applications from early career researchers (ECRs) are particularly welcomed. Early career is defined as current PhD students, researchers up to 10 years post-PhD, and also researchers who are returning to academic work following a career break.
- Applicants from any discipline will be considered, as long as they can demonstrate how their work relates to the topic.
- The fellowship must take place at an ACU member institution, or in industry , outside the fellow’s country of residence.
- Fellows are expected to be highly skilled and motivated researchers whose proposed research topic is innovative, timely, and likely to lead to wider impact beyond the academic community.
- Applicants must submit proof that the host institution is happy to host their fellowship as part of the application process.
Number of Awards: 35
Value of Award:
- Fellows will receive a grant of up to £8000 GBP to cover travel, accommodation, sustenance, travel insurance, vaccinations and visa costs.
- All fellows will also receive a research grant of £2000 GBP for research costs – this can include conference participation – associated with the fellowship.
Duration of Programme: The fellowships will last between two and three months, and must take place between 27 December 2018 and 31 March 2019.
How to Apply: Complete the online application form by Wednesday 7 November at 23:59 GMT.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
The 10 Most In Demand Professions In The World Today
10 Lessons We Learned From Self Publishing a Book
Top 10 Highest Paying Engineering Jobs in the World