Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award 2022/2023 at University of British Columbia – Canada
This award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and who would be unable to attend university without financial assistance.
Application Deadline: 1st December 2021
Eligible Students: Students from impoverished or war-torn areas
To be taken at (country): Canada
Eligibility: To be considered for the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award:
- You must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- You must be graduating or have recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school.
- You must be applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- You must meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements and the English Language Admission Standard.
- You must demonstrate superior academic achievement (at least an A average or equivalent standard) and leadership potential.
- You must come from a war-torn, politically unstable, or economically disadvantaged region of the world.
- You must have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and have no financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary education in your own country (because it is unavailable or unattainable) or outside your country (because it is unaffordable).
Number of Awards: International
Value of Award: The value of your Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award is proportional to your demonstrated financial need and sufficient to cover living expenses and tuition costs for your degree of study.
Duration of Programme: Your award may be renewed for up to three additional years of undergraduate study or to degree completion – whichever comes first – provided you achieve satisfactory academic standing in your faculty, continue to demonstrate financial need, and maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa).
How to Apply:
2. Submit your application to UBC.
3. To apply for the International Scholars Program, you must be nominated by your school or non-profit, and submit a reference from an academic referee. Confirm that your school or non-profit is able to nominate you, and inform your nominator and academic referee that you’d like to apply for the International Scholars Program.
A single high school, college, or university may nominate up to three students for UBC Vancouver (including Vantage College), and one student for UBC Okanagan. A non-profit may only nominate a high school student who is involved with their organization. This nomination will count towards the total nominations permitted from a student’s school.
(Please note: your nominator should be your school counsellor or equivalent, and your academic referee should be someone who is familiar with you and your work – for example, your teacher for your chosen area of study.)
4. Gather your required financial information, as well as notes on any extracurricular activities and awards.
5. Apply for the International Scholars Program by completing this form.