International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) PhD Graduate Fellowship 2019
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a PhD Graduate Fellow to undertake research in ’’Genomic epidemiology of Rift Valley fever in East Africa: A data driven intervention for effective control and prevention of the disease.”
Application Deadline: 18th July 2019
To be Taken at: Nairobi, Kenya
About the Award: The Animal and Human Health research program in the Bioscience directorate at ILRI has an exciting position for a PhD Graduate Fellow who will be a key member of a team working on the epidemiology of RVF – a zoonotic disease caused by RVF virus (RVFV). The goal of the team is to genetically characterize previous and current outbreak viruses circulating in Uganda and Kenya. We seek a student with a good background in microbiology or molecular biology and a solid experience in Bioinformatics, preferably genomics and phylogeny, to join a new project with partners and collaborators from Africa and Germany.
Project title: Genomic epidemiology of Rift Valley fever in East Africa: A data driven intervention for effective control and prevention of the disease.
ILRI Program: Animal and Human Health
Type: PhD, Fellowship
- MSc degree in bioinformatics and molecular biology;
- Relevant work experience in genomics and data analysis using programing languages such as Perl, Python;
- Experience in handling of diverse datasets, data processing and statistical software such as R, SPSS, Matlab;
- Careful and correct mode of work, especially about field data collection and data analysis, demonstrated skills in writing scientific papers;
- Experience of living or working in the context of developing countries, especially East Africa, would be beneficial;
- Willingness to perform field work in rural conditions and ability to work independently and solution-oriented;
- Ability to cooperate with students and field assistants, farmers and other stakeholder groups, and partly supervise MSc students
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: ILRI will offer competitive stipend to cover living expenses in the project location/s, medical cover, air ticket and research costs. The successful candidate will be supervised jointly by an ILRI scientist, another project leads and university /academic supervisor. The fellowship will cover tuition costs at the fellow’s university of admission.
- Isolation of RVF virus from fresh and bio-banked samples
- Extraction of nucleic acids from isolated viruses
- High throughput whole genome sequencing of the isolated viruses using Illumina and Oxford Nanopore technologies
- Bioinformatic analysis of the sequence data and genetic characterization of the circulating virus strains
- Using the genetic data generated to perform transmission dynamics analysis and produce risk maps
Duration of Programme: 3 years
How to Apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab in Link below before 19 July 2019. The position title and reference number REF: PhD/ILRI/AHH/GF/02/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
25 Reasons You Should Study Abroad
25 Things You Didn’t Know About Studying In Italy
25 things You Didn’t Know About Studying Medicine