Harvard University Crossroads Emerging Leaders Program 2020 for Students from Asia, Middle East and Africa (Fully-funded)
The Lakshmi Mittal South Asia Institute, Harvard University (SAI) Third Annual Crossroads Program is a fully-funded career development opportunity for students from the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East, and Africa, who are the first in their families to attend college and may also be facing challenging financial and social circumstances.
Application Deadline: 30th August, 2019 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST)
To Be Taken At (Country): DIFC Academy of the Dubai International Financial Centre (Dubai, UAE).
About the Award: The Program is a prestigious and a fully funded career development opportunity for students from across the world, who are the first member of their family—or the first generation within their family—to attend university and facing challenges of financial and social circumstances. Following a rigorous multi-stage evaluation process, exceptional students are selected from a diverse applicant pool to take part in this unique educational experience.
In 2020, the Crossroads Program expands to include more eligible countries and curated online sessions that will culminate in the weeklong Dubai experience held at Dubai International Financial Center’s Academy. Leading Harvard faculty members will teach an extensive and multi-disciplinary curriculum, that includes a combination of case studies, small discussion groups, discussion on potential career paths, and information on applying to Harvard.
Type: Short course/Training
Eligibility: The third edition of The Crossroads Program expands to include targeted online sessions ahead of an in-person learning experience conducted in Dubai. The Crossroads Program is aimed at high-potential candidates from across Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and the United States that are facing challenges of financial and social circumstances, to expose them to Harvard and its courses.
To be eligible for Round One, candidates:
- Must be between 18-24 years old.
- Must hold a passport or national document* from a country in Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and the United States (Note: any existing and official proof of nationality will suffice at this stage. Please refer to our extensive Frequently Asked Questions page for further details.)
- Must be the first member of their family—or the first generation within their family—to attend university.
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate university program or a recent graduate from a university within the last three years.
- Must be facing challenging financial circumstances.
- Must be fluent in English.
To be considered for Round Two of the Crossroads Program, candidates:
- Must submit a PDF copy of their existing and valid passport from their home country in Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America, with at least 7 months validity as of March 25, 2020 until the expiration date. (Note: USA nationals are not eligible for the in-person segment of the Crossroads Program held in Dubai)
- Must reside in or be able to travel to an Air Arabia destination city at their own expense. A full list of Air Arabia destination cities can be found here.
- Must be facing or have faced challenging financial circumstances.
- Must not have studied, worked or travelled beyond their region unless to a developing country.
- Must submit an updated one-page resume (PDF file format).
- Must submit an official or unofficial academic transcript showing the candidate’s grades (PDF file format).
- Must submit a personal statement of 600 words or less describing their interest in pursuing this program. This statement must be in English, double-spaced, in 12-point size font and saved in PDF format.
- Must submit two letters of recommendation uploaded directly into the online application form. Letters should offer insight into the student’s academic achievements and their ability to take on challenges. All recommendation letters must be in English and saved in PDF format. Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more details.
- Must submit a recent passport photo (dimensions: 2 x 2 inches / 51mm x 51mm) with a white background to expedite UAE visa processing if the student is selected for the Dubai sessions (Note: visa processing fees and any associated costs are the responsibility of candidates).
*PDF files are preferred for application materials.
Successful candidates from Round One will be invited to apply to Round Two of the Crossroads Program, the in-person experience held in Dubai and delivered by Harvard professors. Round Two, the fully paid, in-person experience held in Dubai consists of a five-day Harvard classroom experience. Led by Harvard faculty, students will access curriculum that includes a combination of case studies, small discussion groups, discussion on potential career paths, and information on applying to Harvard throughout the sessions held in Dubai.
Number of Awards: up to 60 students
Cost of Program: FREE (The program will cover the costs of international travel from select locations, board, lodging, and class materials. Visa costs are the responsibility of selected candidates.)
How to Apply: To apply for the Crossroads Program, you will need to first create an XID account, then complete an online application through CARAT. To begin the application process, please follow the visual instructions by clicking the button below. Please note that it may take up to 24 hours to access your CARAT account once you have registered for your XID. Ensure you allow at least 48 hours to complete your application.
Interested applicants should go through the application instructions before applying.
Award Providers: This program is a collaboration between the Lakshmi Mittal South Asia Institute, Harvard University, Harvard Business School Club of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the Dubai International Financial Centre, with the support of Air Arabia, the Carlton Hotel, Dubai Future Accelerators, and Emirates Grand Hotel.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
How to Apply to Win DAAD Scholarship in Germany
15 Inspiring Lessons from 5 African Billionaires for Young People
How to Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship – Tips To Apply To Win