Apply: CERN Openlab Summer Students Program 2020 for International Students
Are you a B.Sc. or M.Sc. student (who will have completed at least three years of full-time studies at university level by next spring) in Computer Science or Mathematics, Engineering or Physics with a strong computing profile? Would you be interested in working on an advanced IT project for two full months during the summer? If so, you should apply to the CERN openlab Summer Student Programme!
Application Deadline: 31st January 2020
To Be Taken At (Country): Geneva, Switzerland
About the Award: During two full months corresponding to nine weeks (June-August 2020), the CERN openlab summer students will be given a series of IT lectures (link is external) especially prepared for them by experts at CERN and other institutes. The students also have the opportunity to attend the CERN generic student programme lectures (link is external), if they wish. Visits to the accelerators and experimental areas are part of the programme, as well as visits to external companies. A report on the work project carried out is to be handed in at the end of the stay.
- You must be a Bachelor or Master student in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics (with a strong computing profile)
- You have completed, by summer 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during summer 2020, you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User…) for more than 3 months and you have not been a CERN summer student in the past.
- A good knowledge of English is mandatory; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 9 weeks to work on an advanced IT project.
- An extensive IT lecture programme, students will also be able to attend the CERN generic summer student lecture programme if they wish.
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution is already deducted from the daily allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
Duration of Program:
- June-August 2020
- Possible arrival dates: Monday 15 June, 22 June and 29 June 2020.
How to Apply: Please apply online before the deadline. Once your application has been submitted you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying
- The students are welcome to upload other relevant document(s) (e.g. academic records).