The University will offer 45 PhD scholarships for students starting their PhD research at the University in the 2020-2021 academic session.
Application Deadline: 3rd February 2020 23:59 GMT
Eligible Countries: UK/EU and International students
To be taken at (country): University of Edinburgh, UK
About the Award: In order to attract the best and brightest PhD students, the University seeks to offer not only unparalleled research facilities and superb supervision, but also to provide development opportunities which will support our research students as they progress beyond their PhD, through an innovative programme of integrated research, training, and career development.
This exciting scholarship scheme provides a valuable opportunity for postgraduate research students to undertake a package of training and development which will help them to develop the necessary skills required to meet their career choices and offer them a breadth of development opportunities in areas such as teaching, public engagement, entrepreneurship, data science, and research.
Scholars will usually focus on one career development area. These include:
- Public Engagement
- Data Science
- The awards are open to UK, EU and overseas students applying to start their first year of study for an on campus research degree in 2020-2021.
- Please note, the Edinburgh College of Art, the School of Law and the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures are not participating in this scholarship scheme in the 2020-2021 academic session.
- Applicants must have already applied for admission to a full-time on campus PhD research programme of study at the University. Applicants intending to study a part-time on campus PhD research programme will only be considered for the scholarship if they have the approval of the School they wish to study with. We encourage applicants who wish to apply for this scholarship to make contact with their academic school regarding any admission deadlines.
- Candidates are required to have good English Language skills with scholarship applicants normally requiring a minimum IELTS of 7.0 achieved within the past two years. Please check the Entry Requirements for your proposed programme of study for details of other acceptable English language qualifications. The requirement for an IELTS score of 7.0 (or equivalent) may be higher than the level required for admissions purposes.
- You may apply for the scholarship prior to obtaining the necessary English language test results but the results should be uploaded as soon as possible.
- Please also note that if you have applied for consecutive registration where you will start your Masters programme of study in 2020 and your PhD the following year in 2021, that you will not be eligible to apply for a Principal’s Career Development Scholarship in 2020. Principal’s awards cannot be held concurrently with fully-funded scholarships but can be held with partial awards such as the Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships.
- Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential. Candidates must have, or expect to obtain, a UK first class or 2:1 honours degree at undergraduate level or the international equivalent.
- Other factors such as financial status, nationality and the proposed field of study are not taken into account.
- The University will not generally consider candidates who have already obtained a PhD, or formal equivalent, as a result of direct research training.
Number of Scholarships: 45
Scholarship Benefits: Each scholarship covers the UK/EU rate of tuition fee as well as a stipend of £15,500. Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarships are awarded for three years.
How to Apply
- In order to gain access to the scholarship application system applicants must have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh. Please note that, following the submission of an application for admission, it can take up to five working days for all system checks to be completed and for access to be granted.
- The online scholarship application form is located in EUCLID and can be accessed via MyEd our web based information portal at https://www.myed.ed.ac.uk
- When logging in to MyEd, you will need your University User Name and password. If you require assistance, please go to http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-systems/support-guidance