If you are under 40 years old, carrying out great work transforming the lives of socially excluded people in your community—for example, street children, disabled persons, albinos, and in some societies, twins— in Africa, World Bank would like to hear your story. You may become one of World Bank’s Social Inclusion Heroes, and you could win a trip to Washington, D.C., and other prizes.
Application Deadline: 15th December 2017
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan countries
To be Taken at: Washington, D.C, USA
About the Award: The World Bank’s Africa Region and its Social Development Department are launching a Story Competition to identify positive role models for African youth that illustrate a #AfricaCAN spirit.
Its primary purpose is to change Africa’s development narrative by highlighting inspirational and transformational African success stories.
The competition aims to identify some of the young Africans working to support the inclusion of vulnerable people.
We hope that it will build up a community of Social Inclusion leaders.
Eligibility: Any person aged 40 or under on December 1, 2017, living in a sub-Saharan country where the World Bank has an office, can take part in the competition. However, World Bank Group staff and their dependents cannot participate.
Selection Criteria: Stories will be judged on four points: (a) clarity, (b) the quality of information provided, (c) the relevance of the activity regarding social inclusion, and (d) the results.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award:
- Winner becomes one of World Bank’s Social Inclusion Heroes
- Win a trip to Washington, D.C., USA
- Participants will gain networking opportunities, organized by the World Bank.
Timeline/Duration of Program:
- October-December 2017: Story competition
- January 2018: Selection of three stories per country by a jury set by the local World bank Country office
- February 2018: Selection of 15 regional finalists by a jury set at the World Bank Headquarters. Selection of three finalists by a high-level jury, from which an overall winner will receive the Africa Region Social Inclusion Heroes Award during a ceremony to be held at the World Bank HQ during the Spring Meetings 2018.
How to Apply: Send your story by email addressed to AFREC email@example.com, with the following in the subject line : “Social Inclusion Heroes Competition”. You can either nominate yourself or someone else, provided that the proposed hero is under 40. Only one submission per entrant will be allowed.
- Format. Submit your story in only one of the following formats: (a) a written essay, preferably as a Microsoft Word file attachment, not exceeding 700 words ; or (b) a 3 minute video, uploaded to YouTube, with the link shared in your mail ; or (c) a 3 minute audio recording in mp3 format. Longer submissions will be disqualified.
- Mandatory accompanying documents. Your submission must be accompanied by these three documents: (a) one photo portrait of you in high resolution, (b) one photo illustrating the activity mentioned in the story, and (c) a page mentioning your name, date of birth, phone number, email address, and name of your organization (if any).
- Submission deadline. December 15, 2017. Late submissions will be disqualified automatically
- Language. The story must be in one of these three languages: English, French, or Portuguese.
Award Provider: World Bank