International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) Science Communication Fellowship Program 2018
The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is currently accepting applications for its summer 2018 Science Communication Fellowship.
Application Deadline: 11th January 2018
Eligible Countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, China, Egypt, Finland, Germany, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Korea, Republic, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands the, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, Ukraine, UK, USA, Vietnam.
To Be Taken At (Country): Austria
About the Award: The science communication fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience, through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, and articles for our magazine, Options. The science communication fellow will work as part of the IIASA Communications Department, assisting with a variety of tasks including editorial work, website maintenance, media relations, event coverage, social media, and other communication activities.
The Science Communication Fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP), producing several pieces of work covering research from the program.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
- Applicants from all countries are welcome. However, IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a National Member Organization. We encourage applications from developing countries.
- Experience writing about science for the general public, via blogs, newspapers, university web sites, or other outlets
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia is a plus
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from Vienna and the awardee’s home at the beginning and end of the fellowship, and a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
Duration of Program: The fellowship begins on 28 May and ends on 31 August.
How to Apply: To apply, please email the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words, about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience. Examples: Article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, op-ed
- One letter of recommendation
to Ms. Alia Harrison, Recruitment Coordinator, Human Resources Department,
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA),
Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
E-mail: [email protected]
Award Providers: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)