ICFJ/ONE Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling 2019 for African Journalists
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), in collaboration with ONE and the Elliott family, seeks entries for the 2019 Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling. The contest is named after late British journalist and longtime ICFJ board member Michael Elliott.
Application Deadline: 2nd December 2018 at 11:59pm EST
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: In its third year, this prestigious award will honor an up-and-coming journalist in Africa who tells important stories through quality reporting.
This award, given in Mike’s name, will provide the winner a $5,000 cash prize to pursue an in-depth reporting project. In a special study tour organized by ICFJ, the winner will spend time in U.S. newsrooms to learn new skills and share knowledge. In order to take full advantage of the study tour, applicants must speak English, even if they work in another language.
- The contest is open to up-and-coming, English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast and online news media.
- Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit one published story that reflects top-notch storytelling about important issues.
- The submission can be a feature story; an in-depth, investigative or explanatory piece; or a multimedia report or documentary.
- The published story or broadcast must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations.
Selection: A distinguished international jury will select the winner.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award:
- This award will provide the winner with a US$5,000 cash prize to pursue an in-depth reporting project.
- In a special study tour organized by ICFJ, the winner will spend time in U.S. newsrooms to learn new skills and share knowledge.
- The winner will also complete a two-week internship at the headquarters of The Economist in London.
How to Apply: Submit your application if you meet the criteria above.
Award Providers: International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), ONE and the Elliott family