TWAS has instituted TWAS UNESCO Associateship Scheme, a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centres regularly. An associate is appointed for three years during which he/she can visit a Centre twice for research collaboration.
Application Deadline: 12th December 2022
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Associateship countries
About the TWAS UNESCO Associateship Scheme: In collaboration with UNESCO and a number of centres of excellence in the South, TWAS has instituted a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centres regularly. An associate is appointed for three years during which he/she can visit a Centre twice for research collaboration. Almost 300 centres have been selected to participate in the Scheme. TWAS provides travel support for the associates and a contribution towards subsistence costs up to USD300.00 per month while living expenses are covered by the host centres.
In 1994, in cooperation with UNESCO, TWAS instituted an Associateship Scheme to help counteract the brain drain affecting many developing countries. The programme supports regular research visits from developing countries to centres of excellence in the South. Almost 300 centres of excellence in the South have agreed to participate in the programme.
Field of Study: Natural sciences
Eligibility: Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent degree. The selection of associates is highly competitive; appointments are made based on merit. Special consideration is given to scientists from isolated institutions in developing countries. Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of TWAS UNESCO Associateship Scheme: The Associateship covers the associate’s travel expenses and a monthly contribution of USD300 towards incidental local expenses. The host centre covers accommodation and food, and provides research facilities.
Duration of TWAS UNESCO Associateship Scheme: Appointments have a fixed duration of three years. During this time, the associate is entitled to visit the host centre twice, for 2 to 3 months. Subject to the availability of funds, the appointment may be renewed for a further 3-year term.
How to Apply for TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme: Applicants must complete the online application form by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button at the bottom of this page. While filling in the online application, applicants also need to upload the following documentation:
- scanned copy of the applicant’s passport, even if expired (page with applicant’s name and surname);
- supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution;
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae (no more than 4 pages);
- the applicant’s full list of publications;
- PhD certificate;
- two letters of recommendation by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country;
- a recent invitation letter – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – from one of the Institutions listed in the files available below. It should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed upon in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available.