Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuter, seeks emerging journalists, recent graduates, early career reporters, or professionals with proven experience for a 6 month training program in 2018.
Application Deadline: 22nd December 2017
Eligible Countries: Countries in Middle East and Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): London, UK and Cairo-Egypt; Dakar-Senegal; South Africa; Nairobi-Kenya.
About the Award: The Reuters Journalism Programme is an opportunity for recent graduates, early career reporters, or professionals with proven experience who are looking to switch careers into journalism. The programme in 2018 will consist of 6 months of formal and on-the-job journalism training, initially in our London newsroom, followed by one of our other main reporting newsrooms or bureaus in the Middle East or Africa.
We are excited to work with emerging talents who can tell stories from new perspectives and in different formats. As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek diverse, talented and qualified employees with proven knowledge of the Middle East or Africa and fluency in Arabic or a language (apart from English) that is widely spoken in Africa.
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest independent news provider, reaching more than one billion people every day. Over 2,000 journalists in nearly 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage in 16 languages with speed, impartiality and insight to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, to the world’s media organizations, and directly to consumers on Reuters.com and Reuters TV. Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
- Clear commitment to a career in journalism
- Drive to build sources, break news and deliver deeply reported stories
- Strong interest in issues that affect companies, markets and economies
- Ability to generate original, relevant story ideas
- Ambition to deliver journalism with real impact
- Fluency in written English
- Fluency in Arabic or a language (apart from English) that is widely spoken in Africa.
- Experience living in the Middle East or Africa, alongside a grasp of the history, politics and culture
- Proficiency with data
- An international outlook
Other desired skills (not prerequisites)
- Knowledge or expertise in a relevant field such as banking, financial analysis, accounting, law or computer science
- Proven professional journalism experience
- Proven ability to generate exclusive and agenda-setting stories
- Experience in multi-media story-telling
- Skills in investigative reporting
- Expertise in data analysis or data-driven journalism
- Understanding of how to use social media to report and find sources
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Reuters Journalism Programme offers an opportunity to fast-track your journalism career and develop your skills across a variety of subjects and media. Successful applicants will predominantly report in text, but visual reporting skills and story-telling ideas will be welcome.
- Competitive pay
- Placements in an African or Middle Eastern bureau
- Fast-paced reporting on top news stories of the day
- Opportunity to develop journalism skills
Duration of Program: 6 months
How to Apply:
- Application Form: you must complete all the questions including the written exercises, using the following link here. Your written answers must follow the guidelines on length and format. If not, your application will not be considered.
- Upload CV: your CV should be no more than two pages long and written in English.
- Upload Cover Letter: cover letter of no more than one page to explain your interest in a career with Reuters. You can attach your Cover Letter under the CV section of ‘My Experience’ when you register
Applicants must be eligible to work in the region to which they apply, with exceptions considered for specialist regional knowledge or language skills
Please note if you do not provide all of the above, your application may not be considered.
Award Providers: Reuters