From 16 to 24 November 2017 the Goethe-Institut invites seven game developers from South Africa and eight from Sub Saharan Africa to join an eight day program with sixteen game developers from Germany, Brazil and Indonesia in Johannesburg. The German participants are award winners and nominees of the German Video Game Awards.
Application Deadline: 5th October 2017
Eligible Countries: South Africa and other countries in Sub Saharan Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): Johannesburg, South Africa
About the Award: Within the program “Game Mixer”, the Goethe-Institut aims to promote professional exchange between game developers from around the world. In 2015, the first Game Mixer Program took place in Jakarta and Bandung,
Indonesia. The following year, the second iteration of the program took place in Sao Paulo, Brazil. In its third iteration, the Game Mixer program seeks to mix up the international game development scene even further by not only including game developers from Germany and the host country of South Africa, but by also inviting participants from broader Sub-Saharan Africa and the former host countries Indonesia and Brazil, too.
Eligibility: If you are interested and want to apply, you should:
- be a professional developer from an African game company that has released at least one game;
- be committed to participate full-time during the whole ten-day program; and
- be able to communicate in English.
- Smaller, emerging studios are preferred, since they would benefit most from this programme.
Selection: The participants will be chosen by a jury of the Goethe-Institut and Interactive Entertainment South Africa.
Number of Awards: Seven from South Africa and eight from Sub Saharan Africa
Value of Award: The Goethe-Institut will provide:
- travel expenses to and from Johannesburg
- accommodation (for participants not living in Johannesburg)
- local transfers
Duration of Program: 16-24 November 2017
- Thursday 16 November – Arrival of guests in Johannesburg, get together, welcome dinner
- Friday and Saturday 17 and 18 November – Game Camp
- Sunday 19 November – Public showcase of the games
- Monday 20 November – Leisure time or Sightseeing
- Tuesday 21 November – Studio visits
- Wednesday 22 November – Internal showcase for participants
- Thursday and Friday 23 and 24 November – Game Jam
- Saturday 25 November – Departure of guests
How to Apply: Your application should include:
- a CV highlighting your professional background
- a one-page letter of motivation;
- a one-page profile of your studio including: founding date, number of games produced / released, number of developers, performance (e.g. downloads, users, revenue);
- a one-page summary of one product that you want to highlight in the showcase including: game details, game performance (e.g. downloads, users, revenue, KPIs), screenshots
Please send your application to Ralf.Eppeneder.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award Providers: The project is funded by the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany.