Application for Cohort 3 of the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is now open for revolutionary young leaders who are changing the face of their communities.
Application Deadline: 31st July, 2017
Eligible Countries: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Togo
To be taken at (country): Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON), near Lagos, Nigeria
About the Award: The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. With more than 60% of its population below the age of 35, Africa is quickly becoming home to the world’s largest number of young people, which raises several questions about the future of Africa.
In July 2014, U.S. President Obama announced the creation of four Regional Leadership Centers (RLCs) in Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa to serve as regional hubs across the continent to encourage transformational learning and enhanced leadership skills.
There are four Regional Leadership Centers (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa). These Centers serve as regional hubs across the continent to encourage transformational learning and enhancing leadership skills. The YALI Regional Leadership Centers are a project of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in close partnership with The MasterCard Foundation. Each Regional Leadership Center is managed under a public/private partnership.
Eligibility: Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is a merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana/Nigeria, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Selection Criteria: Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Program: Selected participants will engage in leadership training across three tracks of study: (1) Business and Entrepreneurship, (2) Civic Leadership, and (3) Public Management in a 4-week residential format with a focus on individual and team leadership skills, innovation, creative learning, and communication. The program’s emphasis is on interactive and experiential learning which fosters each participant’s ability to contribute both individually and in teams.
YALI will cover cost of transportation and accommodation, customized academic and leadership course, accident and sickness benefit plan, stipend to cover miscellaneous costs when in Accra.