The Nigeria Prize for Literature 2023 is looking for entries for this year’s edition in children’s literature. The organisers have also included a new category for literary criticism.
Application Deadline: 21st March, 2023
Eligible Countries: Nigeria
To be taken at (country): Nigeria
About the Award: Nigeria LNG Limited who run the prize have made a call out for this year’s entries of the prize and the category shall be in Drama. The competition is open to Nigerian writers irrespective of their place of residence and having being published after January 2016.
The Nigeria Prize for Literature is the richest prize in African literature worth US$100,000 to the winner. The prize which was founded in 2004 to honor literary erudition by Nigerian authors rotates among four genres fiction, poetry, drama and children’s literature, repeating the cycle every four years.
The Literary Criticism Award
This year, the prize has upped the ante as it seeks entries for literary criticism as well. As the aim is to promote Nigerian literature all over the world, this prize is open to all critics wherever they may come from. Contestants will send in three critical essays published in majorly scholarly journals with a track record of dedication to excellence and an international circulation.
The winner of this prize will go home with 1,000,000 Naira.
Just like with the drama prize, all entries must be made by the deadline above.
- No book published before January 2016 will be accepted
- An author will enter only one published work. More manuscripts will not be accepted
- No book previously submitted for this competition may be re-submitted at a later date even if major revisions have been made or a new edition has been published.
- the prize will be rewarded for no other reason than excellence
Selection: Winners will be announced in October and will be presented to the public on a later date.
Value of Contest: US$100,000
How to Apply:
- Twelve copies of the entries and if available, an e-copy together with evidence of Nigerian citizenship (photocopy of Nigerian passport or I.D card) may be submitted either by authors or publishers in accordance with the genres in competition.
- Books should be submitted to Nigeria LNG’s External Relations Division, promoters of the prize, by the stipulated deadline.
- Complete contact information, including full contact address, phone number(s), email(s), and other relevant contact information will accompany every submission.
Entries shall be sent to:
The Nigeria Prize for Literature,
External Relations Division,
Nigeria LNG Limited Corporate Head Office Km 16 Port-Harcourt-Aba Expressway,
NLNG road, Eastern By-pass,
Port Harcourt, Rivers state, Nigeria
Visit Contest Webpage for details