Apply: Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa 2020 for Young African Leaders
Do you want to be a part of an international network of emerging leaders focused on responsible and sustainable business practices? Join the Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa.
Application Deadline: 20th February, 2020
Eligible Countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
To be taken at (country): Sweden and selected countries in Africa
About the Award: Sweden is considered to be one of the leading countries in sustainable business practice. Swedish companies play a prominent role in finding new, innovative ways to integrate social, environmental and ethical concerns into their core business models. But the challenges are global and we have a common need for sustainable development.
The programme curriculum revolves around advanced business-related problem solving, seminars and meetings with front figures in the commercial, political and cultural fields, as well as on-site company visits. By providing the platform for knowledge sharing, experience exchange and quality networking, the programme aims to challenge traditional approaches, reinforce professional skills, deepen cross-cultural perspectives and unite the participants in a long-lasting and active global network.
The programme, spread over seven months, comprises three weeks of intensive training divided into an introductory kick-off at the Swedish Embassy in each country, a two week module in Sweden and a concluding five day module in Africa.
Eligibility: To apply to SIMP Africa you have to:
- aspire to make sustainability an integral part of your business strategy
- be in a leading position within trade, industry or the public sector
- have mandate to influence the business strategy for your organisation
- be between 25-45 years old (born 1975 – 1995)
- have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- be a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia
- be can take part in all parts of the programme
- be willing to forward competences and knowledge you gain from the programme
Selection: The applications will be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- The relevance and quality of personal motivation and commitment, and the applicant’s answers in the application form.
- An assessment of the CV
- The general qualifications of the applicant
The Swedish Institute will make its decision taking into account the recommendations of the selection committee as well as the candidates’ general suitability for the programme. We are striving for as much diversity as possible in the group in order to maximise the exchange of experience between the participants, which means the distribution of candidates from each country will differ.
Out of all applicants, a number of shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews as a second step in the selection process. The interviews will be conducted by Business Sweden. The 25 selected applicants will be contacted by e-mail and offered a place in SIMP Africa 2019.
Number of Awards: 25
Value of Program:
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- Training and content
- Accommodation, food and domestic transport during the programme
- Flight tickets to and from Sweden
- Insurance covering acute illness and accident when in Sweden
Costs covered and arranged by you
- Flight tickets to and from the kick-off and module 2
- Visas costs, when necessary, to all programme modules
- Occasional meals
- Occasional airport transfers
- Insurance when modules are held outside of Sweden
Duration of Program: 3 weeks
Module 1, 3 days in one of the selected countries in Africa, 3 – 5 June 2020
You are introduced to the programme curriculum and topics of focus. Regional business cases creates the framework for your learning.
Module 2, 2 weeks in Sweden, 12 – 24 October 2020
You deep dive into how sustainble business contributes to innovation, production and increased trust in business on the global market. You explore topics such as leadership, stake-holder engagement, climate change and company visits. You also have a chance to initiate your own business case and receive coaching and peer-feedback.
Module 3, 1 week in one of the selected countries in Africa, February 2021
The focus is on reconnection with the network and harvesting learnings from module 1. You have the opportunity to visit and analyse a real business case.
All parts of the programme are mandatory. The programme is intense and includes evening activities.
How to Apply: Create your application online in the application portal.
A complete application consists of all the information in the Program Webpage (see Link below)
Award Provider: Swedish Institute