Show in Film What YOU Can do to Change the Story. Share your ideas in film with Girls Impact The World! Enter your film now for a chance to win over $20K in prizes!! There are 2 Competitions: Girls Impact the World (GITW) and Green IS.
Application Deadline: 20th January, 2018
Offered Annually: Yes
Eligible Countries: All. The GITW Film Fest Competition is not open to any resident of the following countries: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
To be taken at (country): Austin, Texas, USA
About the Award: Undergraduate and high school students can submit their short films and win a US$5,000 cash prize.
The Girls Impact the World Film Festival, presented by the Harvard College Social Innovation Collaborative and Connecther, is a film festival and scholarship program for high school and undergraduate college students.
The festival accepts short films that either raise awareness or propose solutions to a variety of global women’s issues, including maternal health, microfinance initiatives, child marriage, sex-trafficking and poverty alleviation.
Films must be 3 to 5 minutes long and can be narrative, documentary, investigative reporting, music video, animation or curated film (film collage).
Topics for the Green IS Competition may include: climate change, green energy, water, pollution, garbage and waste reduction, bio-diversity, and other issues. Your film can be a: narrative, documentary, investigative reporting, music video, animation, or curated film (film collage).
- Applicants must be 25 or under and currently enrolled undergraduates or full-time high school students.
- High school and undergraduate students should submit 3-6 minute short films that address global women’s issues such as: education for girls, maternal health, violence against women and girls and a variety of other issues.
- The GITW Film Fest Competition is not open to any resident of the following countries: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- Sponsor prizes including Green IS, Honest Beauty & Innovation Prize are chosen by sponsors and may include films directed and produced by graduate students.
- Each individual applicant may be involved in the making of up to two films. You may not enter more than two films.
Videos must EITHER:
(1) Raise awareness about critical issues affecting women and girls around the world OR
(2) Propose solutions to critical challenges faced by women
Please make sure your film for the GITW addresses one of the issues below.
- Economic independence for women and girls
- Education for girls and women
- Ending child marriage
- Ending FGM
- Gender pay gap – equal pay
- Global health for women and girls
- Honest Beauty
- Maternal mortality
- Poverty affecting women and girls
- Refugee Stories of women and girls
- Sex trafficking and slavery of women and girls
- Stand Up Men
- Teen & child marriage
- Violence against women
- Women and girls in media
- Women and girls in STEM
- Women in business (leadership)
- Women and the environment (including water issues)
- Your film should be between 3 and 6 minutes long. (see FAQ for exact length requirements)
- Your film must contain the provide End Marker still image.
- Your film can be a (1) narrative, (2) documentary, (3) investigative reporting, (4) music video, (5) animation, or (6) curated film (film collage). Please see the FAQ for more details about film genres and film content.
- Your film must be created after January 1, 2017.
- Your film must be your own original work and not infringe any copyright or ownership agreements.
- You must not premiere your film before entering it on the Girls Impact the World website.
- You may only be involved with two submitted entries per year.
- Once you have submitted your video, please share and publicize it through the Girls Impact the World Gallery page. This is intended to help you further the number of facebook likes, tweets and views for the People’s Choice Grand Prize.
- At the end of your film please add a slide that shows at least 2 or more organizations that are working on solutions to the issue area that you address in your short film. You can highlight Connecther projects and/or other organizations. (optional but recommended)
Value of Scholarship: Winners will be awarded over $20K in prizes!
Duration of Contest: Red carpet event for 2017 awards ceremony to be held in Austin, Texas,USA. Date TBD.
How to Apply:
(1) Follow all Film Requirements (see Selection Criteria above)
(2) Enter your video on the GITW entry submission page.
(3) Share, share and share your video from the GITW gallery. The more you share, the more likely you will win the People’s Choice Award!
(4) Upon becoming a finalist, before being eligible for prizes, you must provide proof of enrollment at your school/university.
(5) That’s it, wasn’t that easy!
Award Provider: Girls Impact the World
Important Notes: All footage, video graphics/pictures, and audio (including sound bites, music, etc.) MUST be original, unless you have the express written consent of the original owner for use in your work. We will not knowingly accept a movie that contains copyrighted material.