DAAD-African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Scholarships for PhD in Mathematical Sciences 2017
DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service, in association with AIMS, provides five in-region scholarships for a PhD programme in Mathematical Sciences. These scholarship are available to students wishing to commence a PhD programme at a South African University.
Application Deadline: 30th November 2016.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): South Africa
Eligible Field of Study: Research fields considered include mathematical sciences, statistics, computational and applied maths, physics, cosmology, computer science, bio-informatics.
- African nationals from Sub Saharan countries (excluding South African nationals), and not older than 36 years of age on the date of nomination may apply.
- Women are particularly encouraged to submit an application.
Selection: AIMS will administer the selection process and then submit a short – list of candidates to DAAD for approval. The selection process takes place early December 2016.
Number of Awardees: 5
Value of Scholarship: Funds awarded by the scholarship must be used towards covering the costs of tuition fees, living expenses, medical insurance, books, stationery, research literature expenses, study permit and research.
Duration of Scholarship: Not stated
How to Apply: The new online portal for applications is now open and applications and will close on 30 November 2016. AIMS will continue to screen and short-list applications and submit to DAAD for final approval. The complete application documents (see below) should be submitted to DAAD by the applicants via the DAAD-Portal. Incomplete applications or applications that reach DAAD Bonn after the above mentioned deadline will not be conisdered.
The application form and supporting documents listed below must be submitted via the online portal. Students need to register first before submitting an application.
- Curriculum Vitae (Europass format)
- Letter of motivation
- Recommendation by your head of department
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates including transcripts
- At least temporary admission letter indicating the fees structure of the required university
- Declaration of acceptance from academic supervisor (original only)
- Detailed and precise description of the research proposal with detailed working plan and time schedule until graduation.
Award Provider: DAAD, African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)