Dennis and Lenora-Foretia Foundation STEM Prize 2019 for Young Cameroonians
The STEM Prize was established to encourage young Cameroonians, especially girls and young women to pursue careers in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2019
Eligible Countries: Cameroon
To be taken at (country): Cameroon
Eligible Field of Study: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
About the Award: The STEM Prize competition will consider applications from teams/groups of 3-5 members age between 13 and 21 years old. Each team will design a project that has the greatest potential of positively improving their communities. The best projects will be chosen and the teams will be invited to spend 3 days at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation where they will participate in several educational trainings. Prizes will be given out to the successful teams at the end of the competition.
This competition brings together young scholars from both secondary and tertiary schools (between the ages of 13 and 21 years old) to design projects that have the greatest potential of positively changing their communities. Based on the recommendations of the evaluators and judges at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation, winners will be selected for the eventual prizes.
Eligibility: To be eligible for The STEM Prize Competition, applicants must
- be between the ages of 13 and 21 years old .
- An application must be made by a team or group of at least 3 people or at most 5 people.
Selection Criteria: The winning projects are determined on the basis of its potential contribution to the socioeconomic growth of a specific community, communities or Africa as a whole.
The specific selection criteria include: –
- Relevance and Novelty: Innovative with demonstrable creativity and originality of the project
- Scalability: Scale and scope of the project and the likelihood of implementing the project in areas with similar problems
- Social impact: The socio-economic impacts of the project especially how it addresses challenges faced by the specific community or country as a whole.
Number of Awardees: Three teams of 3 to 5 people
Value of Award: A total of 5,000,000 FCFA (approximately $10,000 USD) will be awarded in prizes and will be distributed as follows:
- Winning team: 1,500,000 FCFA ($3000 USD)
- 1st Runner Up: 1,000,000 FCFA ($2000 USD)
- 2nd Runner Up: 500,000 FCFA ($1000 USD)
- Other individual prizes: 2,000,000 FCFA ($4000 USD)
The foundation will work with all winning teams to get their projects up and running.
Duration of Award: Four (4) months
How to Apply: All applications will be made HERE
Award Provider: Government of Cameroon, Foretia Foundation