Now Open: Seedstars World Competition for Startup Entrepreneurs 2018 – Up to US$1.5million
Seedstars World offers exclusive and global startup competition to promote, connect and invest up to $1.5mn for Entrepreneurs in emerging markets in 60 countries.
Application deadline: Go to Seedstars website below to see specific deadline for each African city.
(Also see specific Programme Dates for African cities below).
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Africa, Asia, Latin America, CEE and MENA
To be taken at (country): Switzerland (Final awards show)
Area of Interest: Entrepreneurship in any field
About the Award: On this 2018 edition of the tour, they will visit over 25 cities across Sub-Saharan Africa to host bootcamps and pitch competitions, adding countries such as Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo and Zambia to its tour. The winner from each country is invited to the final at the Seedstars Global Summit in Switzerland to compete for up to $500,000 in equity investment and additional multiple prizes and perks.
Offered Since: Not specified
- Maximum 2 years since founding date
- Maximum USD 0.5m funding
- Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Need to use technology to solve a local or regional issue
The Seedstars World team is searching for one additional criterion – the startup’s regional and global scalability.
Selection Process: At each Local Event, the top 10-15 pre-selected startups are invited to pitch in front of an expert jury and quality audience to determine the winner. The event brings together key entrepreneurs, investors, corporates and institutions from the local ecosystem combined with a unique global Seedstars World flavour. The winner of each Local Event gets a free trip to the Final Event and loads of cool tech prizes.
The winner of each Local Event will be invited to Switzerland to represent his startup and country at the global finals. The Final Event is a weeklong adventure consisting of a bootcamp, international conference and investor forum. It’s an amazing chance to meet with investors, build a global network and grow your business.
Number of Awardees: several with on grand winner
Value of Award
- Equity investment:There is a prize package consisting of USD500,000 in equity investment and more in cash and in-kind prizes. You’ll be exposed to VCs, corporates and angels searching for investment opportunities. Maximum USD 0.5m funding
- Coverage & Prestige:All Seedstars World events are heavily covered by local and international press with around 500 articles on Seedstars last year. Represent your country at the worldwide Seedstars Summit in front of an international audience.
- Partnerships & Family:Join the close knit Seedstars Family of talented entrepreneurs in 65+ countries. Find potential partners and business opportunities through the community and at the various events.
- Learn & Grow:We hand pick top-quality mentors from all over the world with experience in relevant industries. Benefit from the knowledge of corporate leaders, serial entrepreneurs, accelerator directors and investors.
Duration of Scholarship: 2 days for the Local Event + 7 days if you are selected for the Seedstars Summit (includes: online application, preparing for pitching event, coaching, traveling and attending the events).
Specific Programme Dates for Local Competitions:
The pitching events in Africa confirmed by Seedstars so far are:
Casablanca — 22 June (*now postponed to 6 July)
Algiers — 28 June
Harare — 29 June
Kigali — 20 July
Tripoli — 7 August
Nairobi — 10 August
Lagos — 17 August
Kampala — 24 August
Dakar — 7 September
Gaborone — 14 September
Abidjan — 14 Sept
Dar es Salaam — 21 September
Kinshasa — 21 September
Maputo — 28 September
Doula — 28 September
Luanda — 12 October
Bamako — 20 October
Accra — 26 October (*now postponed to 13th July)
South African finals — 2 November
Addis Ababa – 30 November
How to Apply: Startups from Africa an apply here.
Award Provider: Seedstars World
Important Notes: You must be prepared to talk about your startup in public. Pitch and application documents must be in English or you must provide a translator. Your startup can be from any sector but must be for profit.